Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ruben Verborgh 379 posts 30 karma points
    Sep 15, 2009 @ 13:22
    Ruben Verborgh

Member types have disappeared (and I can't edit their properties)

Hi everyone,

I'm working in an old Umbraco installation (was 4.0.beta-whatever-in-between) and I migrated to 4.0.2.1.

I want to do something with the members, but I noticed that:

• member properties I created are not displayed when I open up a member in the Umbraco backend (although they exist and can be accessed and modified programatically)
    • the "Member Types" node is not shown, "Members" and "Member Groups" are the only subnodes of "Members"
    It was already broken before the upgrade, so the update itself didn't do any bad (nor any good).
    Suggestions? Things I should check in the database?
    Thanks!
    Ruben

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Sep 15, 2009 @ 14:31
    Douglas Robar

Hi, Ruben,

I have no idea how to resolve this beyond programmatically extracting the member information and then programatically re-creating them all with the new api (which may or may not actually resolve the issue)... but I couldn't pass by your post without giving a warm hello and hoping you're well. I miss seeing you in the community.

Hopefully someone else has a solution to the issue.

cheers,
    doug.

• Ruben Verborgh 379 posts 30 karma points
    Sep 17, 2009 @ 11:48
    Ruben Verborgh

Hi Doug,

I fired up my debugger and found that the problem was my custom membership provider. In loadMemberTypes.cs, there's a check on Member.InUmbracoMemberMode(). Umbraco seems to assume that, since I have a custom membership provider, I don't want to edit properties in Umbraco. However, there are some flaws in this reasoning.

• My membership provider extends UmbracoMembershipProvider and does use the Umbraco properties for members. So I do want to edit properties in Umbraco.
    • Member.InUmbracoMemberMode() only checks the name of the provider, not the type.

So I was able to restore the functionality by simply renaming my provider in Web.config to UmbracoMembershipProvider, although in fact, it is a custom membership provider that is derived from the same base class.

I think that should Member.InUmbracoMemberMode() perform a more thorough check, e.g. check if the membership provider is a subclass of UmbracoMembershipProvider.

Cheers,

Ruben

PS I wish you and the Umbraco community all the best, I miss you guys too!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft