Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Eric 12 posts 32 karma points
    May 28, 2013 @ 17:35
    Eric

Probably a stupid question, but how come I can't select a database on install?!

So I am trying to publish a site for the first time... I have installed Umbraco using WebMatrix. I created a blank database on my server and created a user for that database. I was expecting to select that database on Step 3 of the install. I've seen on tutorials where you "select the best database option for you". However, I get no options on this stage. Instead I get an update to the latest umbraco which completes and continues to step 4. I have no choices to choose a different database or anything. I'm sure I'm doing something dumb, but I can't figure out what it could be. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Ken Dimmer 13 posts 72 karma points
    May 28, 2013 @ 20:15
    Ken Dimmer

What type of blank database did you create? Did you create this in the initial install step? What version of Umbraco are you using? Was it upgraded by you or is it a fresh install? Normally on initial install you will have the option to select your type of database. This sounds like it was an upgrade, in which case the db connection string may already be configured in the web.config. Did you check if it's configured? 

Ken- Fyin.com

May 28, 2013 @ 20:50
    Eric

Thanks for your reply Ken!

I created a blank SQL Server Database. I did not create on the initial install step, or at least I didn't mean to. I may have by mistake. I'm using the latest umbraco version and it is a fresh install. Everything works fine on my localhost, but when I move it to the server I can not login. I'm assuming it's because my connectionstring is not correct in my web.config. Shouldn't I be able to point to the SQL Server Database before moving it to the server?

• Rob Williams 12 posts 31 karma points
    May 28, 2013 @ 21:11
    Rob Williams

I'm a bit confused. Did you try to move the database from local to the server as well?

If you do that, you have to delete and recreate the user info for that DB in SQL as well.

May 28, 2013 @ 21:29
    Eric

Hi Rob,

No, I manually created the DB on the server.

Eric

May 28, 2013 @ 22:03
    Rob Williams

Still a bit confused.

If you tried moving an existing website onto a server with a blank database, then you have no user info to login with.

If you moved an entire site database and all from localhost to a server, (and you're using MS SQL) then you need to at least delete and recreate the user for your connection string to work.

May 28, 2013 @ 22:11
    Eric

You're right. I guess my problem is not having any user info to login with like you were saying. Before I tried manually creating the DB, I installed Umbraco using WebMatrix and used a SQL Express database that was created automatically during installation. Then I published the website through WebMatrix using FTP connection. I was able to get to the login screen but my login info never worked. Would I need to manually move the database to the server after I publish for it? Or what could I be missing?

• Ken Dimmer 13 posts 72 karma points
    May 28, 2013 @ 22:16
    Ken Dimmer

Is it SQL CE? If it is and you have the .sdf in your app_data folder you should be fine. Did you make sure IIS has permission to access your umbraco site folder?

May 28, 2013 @ 22:21
    Eric

It's just SQL not SQL CE, but I can go back and make it SQL CE. I haven't done anything with IIS.

May 28, 2013 @ 22:26
    Rob Williams

To move an existing site from local to a server you just move the site files, backup and restore the DB from local to your server (make sure to delete and recreate your user), set the permissions on your servers folders.

I don't know how to do it via webmatrix and FTP

• Jerry 23 posts 73 karma points
    May 28, 2013 @ 23:13
    Jerry

And make sure NETWORK SERVICES permissions  for some folders and the SQL server allow to use Network to login.

when create user in db make sure uncheck the change password first login

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft