Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ana 18 posts 37 karma points
    Jun 05, 2013 @ 17:43
    Ana

Publishing into Linux

Hi,

I'm totally new at this. I'm testing Umbraco and so far, so good. My main question is this: I've done a web page with the basic templates that the tool offers. I've tested it in my computer (WIndows 7) and it works good. But I've published it, through WebMatrix, into a server with Lunix Fedora RedHat FC-17 and Apache 2.2.23.

At the beginning WebMatrix asked me if that server supported PHP and Java? Actually it does not has PHP installed. I've uploaded all the files, but when I enter the URL, i only see all the files correctly listed in directories, and the main page of my site does not appear. 

What do I need to install in my server so it can display correctly? Is my first time publishing in a Linux server. I'll be so thankful if you can help me with this.

Thanks in advance.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jun 05, 2013 @ 18:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ana and welcome to our :)

Umbraco is build on the .NET platform and can't therefore run on a server running Linux. You need to publish to a server running Server software from Microsoft.

You can read more about installing Umbraco manually in the documentation here http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/install-umbraco-manually

Hope this helps - Otherwise feel free to ask further questions.

Cheers,
    Jan 

Jun 05, 2013 @ 23:55
    Ana

Thank you very much Jan!

I had to try! Well, I'll publish the web page over a windows server and implement redirection. 

One question, maybe a stupid one! I have installed Umbraco in my work's pc and my home pc. I have almost the same web in both pc's. The difference is the "template" I chose. How can I get the fonts I have in my house and bring them to work and display the same web site I see in my home?  Is there some way to Save or Export the "solution" and open it in my work? (I'm using WebMatrix in both computers).

Thanks in advance.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jun 07, 2013 @ 10:57
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ana

What is it you're trying to do with the redirection? Am I missing something?

There are only stupid answers, it's ok to be in doubt and not knowing something. And we're a very friendly bunch of people who loves to help each other out no matter the issue :)

Sounds like you should consider setting up some source control using either GIT or Mercurial - then you have a central repository where you can fetch the code you're working on from whatever machine you're using.

Where I'm working we're currently using Mercurial where we have our stuff hosted at http://www.bitbucket.org - There is a nice starter guide for using Mercurial also known as HG here http://hginit.com/

I'm sure you can find similar approaches if you google Git, which is what Umbraco HQ are using for instance.

Another simple option is that you setup dropbox on both machines and do your developing in a folder in dropbox, which you then share with the two machines.

Hope this makes sense!

/Jan

Jun 25, 2013 @ 21:49
    Ana

Hello, I'm sorry for the delay.

I'll try what you told me inmediatly after I install Umbraco on the server.

Right now I have a problem in the server where I'm installing Umbraco. I have install MSQL 2008 but when I'm at step 3, and I write my connections parameters, they start to install (or connect) to the database but get stuck in 5% forever. It does not change. I enabled all the options about my internet options in the browser but it didn't work.

Even if I choose the option to install the database quick and embeded, happens the same thing. I don't know what is the problem. Can you help me with this? Thanks in advance again.

It seems it's a problem of permissions. But I'm logged as an Administrator on the server. I installed IE9 and as I said I enabled all the internet options in the browser. This is the printscreen of the server.

Jun 25, 2013 @ 22:42
    Ana

Hi!

I added some connection string to my weg.config and everything worked fine:

This is what i added.

<add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="server=xxx;database=xxx;user id=xxx;password=xxx" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

This fixed the problem of my connection getting stuck at 5%.

Now, talking about my initial question, the thing is that I don't know how to open my website code in the server. You know you display your umbraco webpage: http://umbraco/umbraco/umbraco.aspx#content ;

This shows you the web pages you develop. I develop my web page in my home pc, I bring the files to the server and I don't know how to make them appear in that web page so I can configure it from this tool page.

I added a site, in my IIS7, with the same properties that the initial site of umbraco (for installation). The new page does not display anything. Do I have to set anything else so the server can display the site? 

I'll be very grateful if you help me with this. Thanks in advance.

Thank you very much in advance. 

• James 1 post 19 karma points
    Jul 10, 2013 @ 16:46
    James

There is a project to run Umbraco on Linux - https://github.com/m57j75/umbracoMono/tree/u6.0.6

It is incrediable that the Umbraco project itself doesn't support Linux out of the box, would allow a lot more people to use the CMS + performance in most cases is better (IIS is pretty slow).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft