Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Debbie Lawrenson 55 posts 75 karma points
    Jun 11, 2013 @ 10:33
    Debbie Lawrenson

Best practice for setting up an umbraco site?

Morning!

I am from a web agency and we are hoping to develop a lot of our sites in Umbraco. Despite doing the 2 day training I am still having trouble getting set up with my first client site. It is already an Umbraco site and I have been given the website and the DB from the previous suppliers. My issues is, how do I develop this? Being a web designer I am used to working on a set of files locally which I upload to an externally hosted server so that the client can see progress.

How should this work for Umbraco sites? Do I upload the DB to the hosting server and then create the site locally in IIS on my machine? Then how do I connect my local files to the DB on the remote server? Or do I simply get it running locally on my machine and connect to the DB locally? But then how do my clients see progress on the site? This is really holding me up so if anyone could help with a suggested workflow that would be great. I have in the past installed manually with IIS and SQLExpress and this all worked fine for my local install for the training.

To top it all off I'm getting a 1064 error when I try to import my DB on the hosting server using PHPmyadmin. Also I have read that for ease the DB username and password should be the same as is the original web config file. I have tried to do this but the hosting server seems to want to use it's own name. I guess this causes trouble with permissions doesn't it?

Sorry for the huge request. I loved the training and after years of using all manner of CMSs from bespoke university systems to Drupal this systems seems fab, I just need to get on better with the setting up of it!!!

Thanks in anticipation.

Deb

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Jun 11, 2013 @ 22:11
    Funka!

Hi Deb,

We tend to do our work directly on a publicly-accessible staging server at the hosting company. For brand new projects, we create the database directly on the production server and keep the IIS site and files on the staging server, usually with a temporary sub-domain. This way, we can develop "live" on the staging site and the client can see progress if needed. Generally we do much of the development using the admin backend UI, although when needed, we'll edit files in either Visual Studio or Dreamweaver and upload to the staging site as we progress. (Sometimes you need to do both at the same time so this is usually more for editing rather than creating files.)

Once everything is finished, we just move the IIS stuff around and the site is live. Keep in mind this is all using the backend UI on 4.11.x sites and we're not "running locally" such as with the VS debugger, so eventually it seems we'll need to change how we do things as we move to v6 and start integrating native MVC functionality, and especially to work around certain problems I already foresee such as lack of dual-support for Views vs. MasterPages, and probably more as I discover them.

Best of luck to you!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft