Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Griffiths 370 posts 1021 karma points
    Jun 20, 2013 @ 20:42
    Paul Griffiths

Database Configuration step 3 manual install Failing

Hello guys,

I could really do with your help im pulling my hair out here been on this for a few hours. Im fairlly new to umbraco and have been installing it via the matrix but i thought the time has come to try and install in maually. However, after setting up my database and IIS im getting to step three and it seems to be getting to 90% and failing with the error message

The database configuration failed with the following message: Login failed for user 'umbraco_db'. Please check log file for additional information (can be found in '/App_Data/Logs/UmbracoTraceLog.txt')

Im convinced this is a permissions problem but cant seem to solve it so any help would be awsome.

Thanks

Paul

P.S i have been following this to set up my database and IIS etc

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jun 20, 2013 @ 20:52
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Paul

I asume it's Umbraco 6.1.x you're trying to install, is that correct? What database are you trying to install Umbraco on? If it's MySQL there probably are some problems currently.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

/Jan

Jun 20, 2013 @ 20:57
    Paul Griffiths

Hey Jan thanks for the quick response

The version im trying to install is umbraco 6.0.6 (is that the wrong one?) and yes im trying to install it on microsoft SQL server

Thanks

Jun 20, 2013 @ 21:01
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Paul

No, that version is the recommended version at the moment. 6.1 still needs some love to get more stable and ready for production use. So everything is fine with the version you have chosen.

Not sure if you had a look at the documentation here http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/install-umbraco-manually when you did the manual installation?

However you need to make sure that the network service and iusr have proper permissions set on the root folder containing your Umbraco installation and make sure it's inherited all the way down to the last level of folders.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Jun 20, 2013 @ 21:07
    Paul Griffiths

Yeah thats what i thought ;). so we have established that im on the correct version lol. Ive set up my folder in the wwwroot and called it umbraco. I set network service and iusr on the umbraco folder should i have set this on the wwwroot?

Not looked at that installation been using the one i posted previously and the one in the umbraco user guide book ;)

Thanks Jan

Jun 20, 2013 @ 21:09
    Jan Skovgaard

Hmm, appears that the link you tried posting is not there for some reason. However I feel confident you'll figure out the issue by having a look at the provided documentation.

If not, let us know :)

/Jan

Jun 20, 2013 @ 21:10
    Paul Griffiths

Yeah thats what i thought ;). so we have established that im on the correct version lol. Ive set up my folder in the wwwroot and called it umbraco. I set network service and iusr on the umbraco folder should i have set this on the wwwroot?

Not looked at that installation been using the one i posted previously and the one in the umbraco user guide book ;)

Thanks Jan

Jun 20, 2013 @ 21:11
    Paul Griffiths

Not sure what is happening with that post? it said, so we have established that im on the correct version lol. Ive set up my folder in the wwwroot and called it umbraco. I set network service and iusr on the umbraco folder should i have set this on the wwwroot?

Ill take a look at the documentation you provided thanks

Paul

Jun 21, 2013 @ 10:17
    Paul Griffiths

Hi Jan 

Not sure what is happening to my posts. I've read the article you have supplied and I've basically done everything it says to do.

For example I've changed the host file to redirect it to 'x'.local. I've set up a new website in IIS and assigned the asp.4 application pool and mapped it to the folder that contains my umbraco files. I know this is working because when I type the address i set as 'x'.local it directs me to the setup wizard which in my mind indicates there are no mapping issues. I've created the database and named it 'x'_db and set up a user and named that 'x'_user. I've set my user to be the owner of the db I created. I've also set up iusr and network permissions on the directory that holds all my umbraco installation files. 

I feel I'm so close but can't help but think I'm getting some permissions wrong somewhere! So frustrated!

Thanks and sorry to go on

Paul

Jun 21, 2013 @ 19:30
    Paul Griffiths

Ive spent allday with this god dam thing and have to say ive been defeated!!

UNRESOLVED :(

Jun 21, 2013 @ 21:09
    Paul Griffiths

Sorted!!! Very silly mistake on my behalf having read old documents and not read Jan's helpful post properly I failed to add the IUSR Group I only had IIS_IUSRS(MachineName account.)

Thanks to Jan for his help!

Dont make the same mistake guys ive wasted hours lol

Paul (Dunce Hat lol)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft