Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pete 152 posts 176 karma points
    Sep 21, 2009 @ 17:10
    Pete

RAM recommendations for a large site (dedicated box)

Hullo,

I'm running a fairly large Umbraco site (1500+ documents) on a dedicated server. I'm finding that it is running very slowly on a server with 2GB of RAM, though it doesn't seem to run too badly on my PC (4GB RAM). 

I have two questions:

1. Is there a page somewhere on the Umbraco site that lists minimum and recommended technical specs? 

2. What's everyone else using for dedicated servers and how is performance? 

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Sep 21, 2009 @ 17:35
    Rich Green

I imagine the server requirements would differ based on many factors.

It's probably worth posting as much information about your site as possible.

How are you implementing caching for example? 

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Sep 21, 2009 @ 18:21
    Douglas Robar

More information would be very helpful, though in general I'm surprised you've got performance problems with a dedicated server with 2GB of RAM. What OS, database, load/number of hits have you got?

If you append ?umbDebugShowTrace=true to the querystring of a slow page, do you find that some macro(s) are slow? Or, if the page is quick to generate perhaps the problem is bandwidth between your server and your browser (or you've got large amounts of data to transfer), rather than an umbraco problem?

Let us know.

cheers,
    doug.

• Casey Neehouse 1339 posts 483 karma points MVP 2x admin
    Sep 21, 2009 @ 20:09
    Casey Neehouse

Hi Peter,

2GB of Ram should be sufficient.  However, if SQL is on the same box, be sure to limit the memory consumption of SQL Server.  It will gladly eat all the RAM on the server if given the option (and default configuration).

How much memory is the IIS WP using?  SQL?

The IIS WP should not require any more than a couple hundred MB unless you are caching everything possible.

• Pete 152 posts 176 karma points
    Sep 22, 2009 @ 10:14
    Pete

Thank you all for your replies. Caching and SQL Server config I will have to investigate as I wasn't involved in setting up either of these parts. 

At the moment, memory usage is 742,376 K for sqlservr.exe and our two sites (staging and live) are using 233,184 K and 230,120 K for each of their w3wp.exe processes.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft