Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ana 18 posts 37 karma points
    Jun 27, 2013 @ 23:18
    Ana

After installing Umbraco, cannot display website in server.

Hi!

I'm new at developing with umbraco. I installed the application in my server, everything worked fine. The webpage to make the installation displayed fine.

I added other new site, in my IIS7, with the same properties that the initial site of umbraco (for installation). The new page does not display anything. Do I have to set anything else so the server can display the site? 

Besides that, other problem I have is that I don't know how to open my website code in the server. You know you display your umbraco webpage: http://umbraco/umbraco/umbraco.aspx#content ;

This shows you the web pages you develop. I develop my web page in my home pc, I bring the files to the server and I don't know how to make them appear in that web page so I can configure it from this tool page.

Please help me about this, because this is stopping me for keep developing the site.  

I'll be very grateful if you help me with this. Thanks in advance and sorry if I'm doing something stupid =(

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jun 27, 2013 @ 23:21
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ana

Is it possible that you can send a screendump of your setup in IIS?

Have you added a binding to each of the sites? And have you setup the same binding as a hostname in umbraco as well?

/Jan

Jun 28, 2013 @ 00:41
    Ana

Hi Jan,

This is my actual configuration:

This is the binding that I actually use (the same for the umbraco site I guess):

In Umbraco I haven't set anything because I cannot open the files from the umbraco webpage viewer. What do i need to do? Can i do it directly over the file? In what file specifically?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Jun 29, 2013 @ 23:38
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ana

When you setup the sites in IIS always make sure to map them to 

the different site folders on your disk.

Also make sure that you create som unique bindings aka domain 

names - when doing local development you need to set these up in 

your hosts file.

Then you would usually have a convention like 

projectname.com.local (where the "projectname" part is actual the 

name of the project so if your project is for aol online for instance 

then it would be aol.com.local).

You find the hosts file in this path C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts

You can open and edit it using notepad but make sure that you have administrator rights.

In the file you will then add the needed hostnames like this (Which is also shown with comments in the file)

127.0.0.1aol.com.local

Then you can add aol.com.local as a binding for the one site and then you can create another meaningfull binding for the other site.

In Umbraco you can set the "manage hostnames" to http://aol.com.local - you should be able to browse the umbraco site when the bindings in IIS have been setup to be different from each other by just going to http://aol.com.local in the browser.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Jan 

Jul 02, 2013 @ 21:25
    Ana

Hi Jan,

I'm sorry that I didn't reply to this sooner. I didn't received a notification in my mail, I was worried and I decided to come here to check and I saw this.

Well, you were right, the host file needed to be changed to add this new alias, so the page at least were recognized, this is how it looks now:

But with this configuration the page does not displays and shows this error =(

Do I need to setup something else in the umbraco files too? It seems like the template is not installed? Do I need to install the template as well? Because that day I tried but it kept showing me a message saying it was a problem with the conexion. 

Thanks in advance!!

PS: I'll be checking in the post directly in the future ;)

Jul 03, 2013 @ 00:25
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ana

Regarding the missing e-mail notifications the issue has been fixed now so you should be able to trust the system again.

Ok, so far so good.

Was this a clean installation of Umbraco or did you choose a starter kit during the installation process?

I know I've seen this error before but I must admit I can't remember why it happens. However it's most likely because your homepage node is trying to use a template that does not exist.

Try going to the "Settings" section and then see what template has been attached to your "Home page" document type - does that template exist? If it does try creating another template by right clicking the template folder and create a template called "test". Go to the document type and try attaching the test-template to it instead. Does this fix the error?

Hope this makes sense.

/Jan

Jul 11, 2013 @ 23:54
    Ana

Hi Jan, 

It's been a long time, sorry about that. 

We resolved the problem. I couldn't install the template the first time I ran the Umbraco installation. It keep saying it was a problem with the repository. I thought it was a problem of permissions. But the real problem was the proxy. We added this into the web.config file.

<system.net>

<defaultProxy>

<proxy proxyaddress="http://serverIP:port" bypassonlocal="false" />

</defaultProxy>

</system.net>

Then we tried to install the template again and everything worked perfect. We display the webpage now and it's ok, the navegation and the scripts works fine.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help and your patience!!

I'll keep developing with umbraco! :D

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft