Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Peter Karas 9 posts 30 karma points
    Jul 17, 2013 @ 23:57
    Peter Karas

Examine SimpleDataIndexer will not initialize

Hi,I'm having trouble starting up Umbraco with a configuration that uses a simpleDataIndexer. The error on starting up is:Parser Error Message: Value cannot be null.Parameter name: typeThe line in error is:<add name="CustomIndexer" type="Examine.LuceneEngine.Providers.SimpleDataIndexer, Examine" dataService="xxxDataService, xxxSearch" indexTypes="CustomData" />I've followed the advice on:http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/15786-Examine-SimpleDataIndexer-problemWith no luck. Although I can see the error seems to suggest the type cannot be found, the class  library is definitely there and namespace is correct. I'm not sure where indexType is meant to be defined ? so myabe I'm missing something there ?Having trouble finding documentation about this, and feel like I've reached a bit of a dead end.Any help would be great,Thanks in advance,RegardsPeter

Jul 18, 2013 @ 09:12
    Peter Karas

(sorry, here's the above post with some formatting but back in...)

Hi,

I'm having trouble starting up Umbraco with a configuration that uses a simpleDataIndexer. The error on starting up is:

Parser Error Message: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: type

The line in error is:

<add name="CustomIndexer" type="Examine.LuceneEngine.Providers.SimpleDataIndexer, Examine" dataService="xxxDataService, xxxSearch" indexTypes="CustomData" />

I've followed the advice on:http://our.umbraco.org/forum/developers/extending-umbraco/15786-Examine-SimpleDataIndexer-problem With no luck. Although I can see the error seems to suggest the type cannot be found, the class  library is definitely there and namespace is correct.

I'm not sure where indexType is meant to be defined ? so myabe I'm missing something there ?

Having trouble finding documentation about this, and feel like I've reached a bit of a dead end.

Any help would be great,

Thanks in advance,

RegardsPeter

• Edwin van Koppen 156 posts 270 karma points
    May 02, 2014 @ 14:13
    Edwin van Koppen

Same error here, did you fix it?

May 02, 2014 @ 14:59
    Peter Karas

Hi Edwin,

No. I'm afraid I didnt.

I ended up using Lucene API directly. My requirements where reasonably straight forward so it worked out much quicker than trying to figure out why the SimpleDataIndexer wasnt working. The Lucene API is reasonably straight forward and there is lots of documentation and examples to follow.

Let me know if I can help in any other way,

Regards

Peter

May 02, 2014 @ 15:43
    Edwin van Koppen

Thanks! you try that.

• Karl Kopp 121 posts 227 karma points
    May 06, 2014 @ 07:18
    Karl Kopp

Just a note on this... was banging my head on this as well. Turns out you need to create a compiled class (DLL) and not use app_code as that stuffs with the namespace. I put all my code into a DLL and it works a treat...

• Tim 1193 posts 2675 karma points MVP 3x c-trib
    May 06, 2014 @ 12:42
    Tim

What Karl Kopp said! I ran into this a year ago or so when I was doing some work with Custom Index sets. As long as it's in a DLL rather than App_Code it should work fine :)

May 06, 2014 @ 13:30
    Edwin van Koppen

I always work with compiled project but it didn't work with me (7.1.1). I now use Lucene direct and that works.

May 07, 2014 @ 02:52
    Karl Kopp

The error is caused by the method in the dataService tag returning the wrong type. Happy to share code if it helps anyone?

@Edwin - keen to get some more details on how you did it with the Lucene API?? Love to get some info...

May 07, 2014 @ 09:10
    Edwin van Koppen

It's pretty easy.. this was a good start http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/braindump/working-with-lucene-net/

• Joshua Stewart 36 posts 128 karma points c-trib
    May 14, 2014 @ 00:19
    Joshua Stewart

I found a simple solution for those who experience this problem in the future. There is no need to move your code in to a DLL. You just need to change the dataService parameter in the ExamineSettings.config for your SimpleDataIndexer to reference App_Code like below.

<add="CustomIndexer"type="Examine.LuceneEngine.Providers.SimpleDataIndexer, Examine"dataService="xxxDataService, App_Code" indexTypes="CustomData" indexSet="CustomIndexer"/>

May 21, 2014 @ 02:55
    Karl Kopp

Thanks Josh - can confirm this works a treat :)

• Joshua Stewart 36 posts 128 karma points c-trib
    May 22, 2014 @ 18:12
    Joshua Stewart

@Karl - You're welcome. I'm glad I could help.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft