Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Shailesh Joshi 4 posts 34 karma points
    Jul 23, 2013 @ 09:19
    Shailesh Joshi

How to create second Umbraco site?

Hello Guys,

I installed Umbraco using webmatrix. I got basic folder structure, settings using which I can create document types, templates, scripts etc. My site is working, so far so good.

Now I want to create another website. My question is, how can I get that blank brand new folder structure again for my new site? Do I need to install Umbraco all over again? If not, what is the other way?

Thanks and Regards,

Shailesh

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Jul 23, 2013 @ 09:48
    Dave Woestenborghs

If you want to have a blank structure the only way would be to install Umbraco again.

But it is also possible to have multiple sites in the same Umbraco environment : http://blog.benpowell.co.uk/2010/06/multiple-sites-under-single-umbraco.html

Dave

• Shailesh Joshi 4 posts 34 karma points
    Jul 23, 2013 @ 10:09
    Shailesh Joshi

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply, it helps.

I installed one blank folder structure. Before making any changes, I backed it up.

So now every time I start new site, can I simply use the backed up structure, copy and rename the root folder, and start building site? Do you see any drawback here?

I am finding an alternative so that one need not connect internet and go through the installation to start new site.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Shailesh

• Eduardo Sobrinho 18 posts 38 karma points
    Jul 29, 2013 @ 20:54
    Eduardo Sobrinho

Hi Shailesh.

I'm speaking Portuguese, then sorry by any mistakes.

I am a beginner too and I'm trying to solve this problem.  I used an IIS resource called ‘Deploy’, to export and import. 

I made the following

1. I created a website, and customized it.
    2. I created a zip file using using the ‘Export’ option of 'Deploy' resource.
    3. I did a backup of the database
    4. I created a new website in IIS and Imported the site customized, saved in zip file,  to the root directory using 'Deploy' resource again.
    5. In Sql Management Studio, I creted a new database and imported the data from the original created previously.
    6. In the web.config file, I changed the name of the database for the a new database I created for this new website
    7. I fixed some problems with folder permissions that I found

Results: 

• The website, in general, worked fine, but the functionality to creating new users did not worked and haven't given me any error message.
    • If anyone knows how corrigir this problem, I will be grateful. 
    • Otherwise, If someone suggest a better way to do it, I will be more grateful.
    Thank you,
    Eduardo Sobrinho
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft