Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin Lingstuyl 202 posts 379 karma points
    Jul 23, 2013 @ 13:25
    Martin Lingstuyl

Migrating content instead of upgrading

Hi guys,

A client of mine has an umbraco 4.7.2. + contour 1 instance, and we want to upgrade to 6.1 + contour 2 or higher.

The problem is, the website is quite complex with all kinds of additional functionalities and packages, and I would like to monitor the integrity of the content. I don't trust Concierge on this because I've never used it and because it forms another possible weak link as a package.

I would like to know if it's possible to do a sql migration of all content into an empty Umbraco 6.1 + Contour 2 installed database. For that to work I need to know if there've been changes to the sql structure between these versions.

Can someone enlighten me on that or point me in the right direction? (or maybe call my plan a bad idea)

Thanks!

Martin

• Dan 1288 posts 3921 karma points c-trib
    Jul 23, 2013 @ 14:22
    Dan

Hi Martin,

Personally, I'd try to upgrade the traditional way.  You could use Lee Kelleher's archive and suggested upgrade routes: http://code.leekelleher.com/umbraco/archive/.

Obviously do this on a local back-up to make sure it works.

Failing that, I'd use CMSImport, which is a commercial package, but will save you hours of SQL scripting hell!

Hope this helps, and best of luck with it :)

Jul 23, 2013 @ 14:31
    Martin Lingstuyl

Hi Dan,

thanks for replying.

That would mean i'd have to make 7 upgradesteps, seeing lee kellehers upgradepath, right? That would take me hours as well :)

Thanks for the advice though. Will think on it!

Martin

Jul 23, 2013 @ 14:39
    Dan

It's been a while since I last did a batch of upgrades like this, and if you're going strictly 'by the book' and manually diffing config files etc it's going to take a while, but the majority of the steps should be straight forward.  I think Lee's suggested paths are definitely eding on the safe-side, for obvious reasons.  You could try jumping a few steps and do a couple of larger upgrades - it should be possible (obviously depending on the extent of the customisations in your project).

Jul 23, 2013 @ 14:43
    Martin Lingstuyl

Will try,

It won't be fun however, as I'll have to run it twice. First testing the entire upgrade cycle on my development unit, and then live. (oh boy)

Jul 23, 2013 @ 14:49
    Dan

Indeed.  I'm the first in line to say that the Umbraco upgrade process need some major TLC, but I understand it's on the way (doesn't help now, I know).  I'm personally hoping that a lot of the Umbraco-as-a-service work will feed back into a more seamless upgrade process for the core project, as I think some other CMSs are streets ahead in this area (one-click core upgrades with proper package dependency handling etc).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft