Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Yannick Smits 321 posts 718 karma points
    Jul 23, 2013 @ 19:10
    Yannick Smits

Upgrade problems

I just finished upgrading a Umbraco 4.7.2 site all the way up to Umbraco 6.1.2 using the instructions from 

http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/installation/upgrading/version-specific

but unfortunately I get some errors in the backend. For instance when I try to add a new page it says in the popup:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.TemplateRepository.PerformGet(Int32 id) +476
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.RepositoryBase`2.Get(TId id) +229
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.ContentTypeRepository.<PerformGet>b__0(DocumentTypeDto template) +26
       System.Linq.WhereSelectListIterator`2.MoveNext() +244
       System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection) +535
       System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList(IEnumerable`1 source) +79
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.ContentTypeRepository.PerformGet(Int32 id) +1028
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.RepositoryBase`2.Get(TId id) +229
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.<PerformGetAll>d__2.MoveNext() +882
       Umbraco.Core.Persistence.Repositories.RepositoryBase`2.GetAll(TId[] ids) +1767
       Umbraco.Core.Services.ContentTypeService.GetAllContentTypes(Int32[] ids) +106
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.DocumentType.GetAllAsList() +78
       umbraco.cms.presentation.create.controls.content.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +339
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +70
       System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +189
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3177

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.18045

Then when I try to publish a node using the right click menu, the popup shows the publish dialog + the waiting bar already, so publishing seems broken.

Tips on how to debug this, are welcome!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jul 25, 2013 @ 11:04
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Yannick

What steps did you take? Did you go directly or did you do it incrementally?

If you did do it the incremental way did you do a test after each step to see what broke during the process? Did you use a versioning system like git or mercurial to make it easy to rollback between upgrades?

Did you follow the upgrade instructions in http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/ ? Did you merge the config files and did you merge the web.config changes as well?

Are you using some packages that might not be supported/work with this new version?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Jul 30, 2013 @ 13:16
    Yannick Smits

Yes I followed the steps from that link. I only did 1 /install step. Didn't copy the 4 dir's for every release in between.

Also did a winmerge on all the config files and followed the version specific upgrade instructions (like removing specific dll files).

I do have some packages installed: Cultiv search engine sitemap, relation types, goyaweb multi-language tools, famfamfam, doc2form, desktop media uploader, cmsimport, ucomponents, contour, nforum.
    How would they influence the base functionality of the CMS?

Also I just upgraded to 6.1.3 and now it seems the publishing error went away. The only one still left now is when creating a new page (see error in first post)

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15476 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jul 30, 2013 @ 14:55
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Seems to be some problem with trying to get a template that is not being found. Can you see if it helps to save all your document types one by one?
    And/or saving the templates too?

The listed packages I think are all supported, maybe not doc2form though, not sure I've never tried and as I'm not sure how that works I don't know if it could intefere.

Jul 30, 2013 @ 15:30
    Yannick Smits

thanks Seb! That fixed the error. Greetings from rainy Scheveningen :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft