Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Zweben 268 posts 753 karma points
    Jul 24, 2013 @ 20:55
    David Zweben

Installing Umbraco locally through Visual Studio?

I have been trying to test out some Umbraco eCommerce packages (particularlly uCommerce) by making a local Umbraco installation on my PC to be used for testing purposes. I have tried setting Umbraco up locally numerous times in several ways through Visual Studio and it always installs fine, but none of these installations seem to be working quite as they should. Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or what the most reliable way is to install Umbraco locally on a PC?

I have tried downloading Umbraco from http://our.umbraco.org/contribute/releases, unzipping the contents of the package to a good location, and from Visual Studio 2012 doing File > Open Web Site. I then went into the project Properties and set the virtual directory to '/', did 'View in Browser' on default.aspx and proceeded through the installation using the simple, built-in database option. I tried this with Visual Studio set to use both IIS Express and Visual Studio Development Server. The installation appeared to work fine, but I ran into errors trying to do basic things like create a Member Group, and I couldn't get either uCommerce or Tea Commerce to install correctly after several tries.

I have also tried installing Umbraco through NuGet. As with the other method, it appeared to install fine, but uCommerce wouldn't install correctly, and I ran into server errors when trying to do basic things.

Is there a better, more reliable way to create a localhost Umbraco installation? I'm going to try installing using the full version of IIS next, but I'm really not sure whether that would make any difference or not.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Dan 1288 posts 3921 karma points c-trib
    Jul 24, 2013 @ 22:09
    Dan

Hi David,

Not sure if you've ever tried it, but Webmatrix is fantastic for spinning up local umbraco instances very quickly.  It basically gives you the light version of everything that's needed (IIS express, basic but decent editing environment, GIT/TFS source control integration etc).  You can even launch Visual Studio from Webmatrix once it's up and running.  Well worth a try!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft