Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul Brown 39 posts 80 karma points
    Jul 27, 2013 @ 02:13
    Paul Brown

Where stuff is stored confusion...

okay I understand that if you upload media on your localhost then it is not going to on the live hosted server.

however i did think that if i created a sql database on the same live server and had both local umbraco and live umbraco linked.this would help...

but when i created a new text page for example this would be replicated on both sites but no, as a lot of other config stuff is saved to a XML config file in the file structure and therefore local and live content is out of sync.

can anyone suggest a way around this? or suggest why things are done this way.....im really struggling to maintain a local upto date copy and everything seems out of sync....

thanks paul

• Kevin Jump 2311 posts 14696 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Jul 27, 2013 @ 09:48
    Kevin Jump

there is quite a bit to keeping two umbraco installations in sync, the page on load balancing goes through quite a bit of it http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/installing-umbraco-for-load-balanced-environments

the issue you are seeing when you create some content on one site and don't see it on another is caused by umbraco cacheing - the database can be shared so the content is on both sites but for most of the time umbraco uses it's xml cache to serve pages. 

to keep the cache in sync you have to setup distributed calls, which basically tells umbraco that when content is edited on one site to tell the other site it needs to update it's cache. in umbraco.config you need to look at the following section

<distributedCallenable="true">

<user>0</user>

<servers>

<server>server1.mywebsite.com</server>

<server>server2.mywebsite.com</server>

<server>server3.mywebsite.com</server>

</servers>
    </distributedCall>

obviously you have to put the site names in for your two sites. and each site needs to see the other (so your local copy needs to bable to see the url of your live server. 

but you will also need to keep everything else in sync between the two servers. so that's templates, stylesheets, media files etc. if you have a shared database then you are probibly best just setting up some form of file copy, you don't need to copy the app_data/temp folder - infact you should avoid that as it has lots of caching and search stuff in it. 

there are also a number of ways to keep two umbraco installs in sync, one being courier which is the paid for package for distribution, but that might be overkill for what you are trying to do. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft