Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Morten Thulstrup 4 posts 24 karma points
    Sep 29, 2009 @ 16:31
    Morten Thulstrup

I cannot log in to the backend!

Hi there - I am new to Umbraco and the world of programming, so I hope you will be gentle.

I did a fresh install of Umbraco on a MySQL server and everything worked fine.

Then I changed my password and now it won't accept the new one. Meaning I couldent login. I then eventually deleted the entire Umbraco installation through my ftp connection and then uploaded a new one. Did a fresh install through the five stages and then it asked me for a password once again!... 

So basically i am stuck at the login screen and I can't figure out how to reset my password. Any ideas are most welcome :)

Cheers

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Sep 29, 2009 @ 18:18
    Rich Green

If there's nothing in Umbraco (you didn't add anything after doing the fresh install)  couldn't you just delete the database and start again?

• Chris Dunn 75 posts 127 karma points
    Sep 30, 2009 @ 04:29
    Chris Dunn

The problem with retrieving the admin password from the database is that if you are on the most recent version of umbraco the password is hashed. But you can get around this.

Go to the database and open the umbracoUser table. Select and copy the admin's userPassword (it's hashed).

In web.config file change the password format for the UsersMembershipProvider to "Clear" from "Hashed".

<add name="UsersMembershipProvider" type="umbraco.providers.UsersMembershipProvider" enablePasswordRetrieval="false" enablePasswordReset="true" requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false" passwordFormat="Clear" />

Go to the login page and enter the username and paste the password you copied from the umbracoUser table.  This will login you in using the hashed password as the clear password.

While logged in go back and change the password format in the web.config file back to "Hashed".  The go to the users section and change the password for the admin.

That should do it.

• Morten Thulstrup 4 posts 24 karma points
    Sep 30, 2009 @ 10:30
    Morten Thulstrup

As I said I was kinda new at this, so deleting the database didn't even strike me as an option, but thank you Rich for pointing out what is most likely obvious :)

And thank you Chris for adding an alternative solution - I didn't get to try whether it worked for me though, since the first option worked.

Cheers

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft