Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pavel Gurecki 55 posts 158 karma points
    Aug 05, 2013 @ 16:07
    Pavel Gurecki

Upgrading live Umbraco site - how to disable install folder redirect?

Hello,

I've bumped into problem while upgrading live Umbraco instance.

After updated files are uploaded, db update script should be run from /install folder. The problem is that, if "umbracoConfigurationStatus" is set to some value, umbraco just keeps redirecting to homepage when trying to access /install/ . When umbracoConfigurationStatus is set to blank, every user gets redirected to /install directory which is not suitable for a live site.

So the question is, how you can run db install script without giving public access to install directory? Or how to disable default redirection to install directory?

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Aug 06, 2013 @ 00:50
    Funka!

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you and if you really need to do this, please be sure you have a backup and easy way to restore your site in case something goes wrong. My solution to this has been to copy the site and database to a secondary server or local machine, run the upgrade there, then re-deploy everything on top of the production site. There are other valid reasons for doing this, such as potential breaking changes brought about by just about every upgrade I've ever done, which are not fun to troubleshoot and fix on a live site. Best of luck to you and hopefully someone else can help answer your question if you really need to do this.

• Pavel Gurecki 55 posts 158 karma points
    Aug 06, 2013 @ 10:09
    Pavel Gurecki

Hi Funka,

thanks for your reply.

Ofcourse, backups are essential and are implemented in my deployment process. Your solution should do the trick, but it's quite complex as it involves multiple DB backup/restore cycles, it would be more simple to run install script manually after deployment (and backups). 

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Aug 06, 2013 @ 20:04
    Funka!

We use Red Gate SQL Server tools (SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare) to easily move databases around from place to place. Very painless, just a couple of clicks. I think you're right, this might otherwise be very complex using the built-in backup and restore functionality. And sometimes the price tag on 3rd party tools like this can be prohibitive if you're not using them all the time, but they are worth their weight in gold for how much I use them (not just umbraco but other non-web projects) and for what they can do. Best of luck to you and hope you find a good solution.

• [email protected] 406 posts 2135 karma points MVP 7x c-trib
    Aug 06, 2013 @ 22:16
    jeffrey@umarketingsuite.com

Hi,

what I usually do when I'm upgrading for example www.foobar.com. 

1) Of course I make a backup of the website and database.

2) I create a new domain maintenance.foobar.com on which I display some message in the style of the website ("We're upgrading right now, try again in 30 minutes").

3) I create another domain called upgrade.foobar.com.

4) I redirect all traffic from www.foobar.com to maintenance.foobar.com.

5) I bind the Umbraco-site to the domain upgrade.foobar.com (that nobody in the world knows or is IP-blocked), etcetera. I upgrade the site, running the install wizard.

=> When everything looks fine, I will bind the domain www.foobar.com to the upgraded site

=> If the upgrade doesn't succeed, or it's taking to long. I take the backups and bind www.foobar.com to them (and try again at a later stadium :))

Hope this helps out!

Greetings, Jeffrey

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft