Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Aug 16, 2013 @ 10:54
    Ismail Mayat

Load balancing file share using Microsoft CIFS

Guys,

Has anyone setup a load balanced environment where they have created a file share for media using Microsoft CIFS http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc939973.aspx

We are about to do it. The hardware people are setting up a network in this way just wondering it anyone has done it any issues etc?

Regards

Ismail

• Marc Stöcker 104 posts 560 karma points c-trib
    Aug 16, 2013 @ 13:55
    Marc Stöcker

We have done so and only had some minor clinches namely with large file that were accesses in parallel and by some lengthy routines. No big trouble, but bugging at times. Overall, it was ok, we could handle it "okish". We did setup most of our newer installations with replication and that works well if the tech guys are good at DFSR. Seldom there is some problem; only with one installation and that ISP isn't so proficient in DFRS, etc.

Also, we were looking into using CSVs (Cluster Shared Volumes) on the SAN (iSCSI) in Windows Server 2012. So far we haven't used that in production yet, only some test setups.

Marc.

Aug 16, 2013 @ 13:58
    Ismail Mayat

Marc,

Awesome. The site is not big and load will not be heavy either so hopefully should all work.

Regards

Ismail

• Marc Stöcker 104 posts 560 karma points c-trib
    Aug 16, 2013 @ 14:06
    Marc Stöcker

Talked to my coworker and he wanted to add that if you use file system notifications on media in that scenario, that can cause a lot of trouble with SMB/CIFS. They seem to be generally problematic with remote/network IO, but it gets really bad if you have "many"(?) of them, he said.

Aug 19, 2013 @ 13:11
    Ismail Mayat

Marc,

Probably dumb question what does it involve setting it up and how does it work in umbraco context. So I have a win2k3 box that i want to setup cifs on is it just a matter of creating a shared network folder? Then on my webservers in the load balanced cluster in IIS remove the media directory and create new virtual directory that points to the network share?

Regards

Ismail

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft