Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Phyllis Pascazio 2 posts 22 karma points
    Aug 16, 2013 @ 19:06
    Phyllis Pascazio

Need to move umbraco site to different server

I'm completely new to Umbraco, and with the exception of a bit of Wordpress, new also to CMS in general. My background in web design consists of raw HTML coding, some CSS, Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Now, I've been asked to move a client's Umbraco site to a new server.

Research tells me that I will first need to install Umbraco software onto the new server, then move the website files and tweak some settings.

1. To do this, I will be using a computer at the client's home office, behind a firewall. Will the firewall get in my way? (The IT department at this company doesn't like to be questioned and will not offer help or info.)

2. Will I need to set up Umbraco onto a local drive first?

3. According to what I've read so far, there is some other bit of software that will be needed in order to get things set up and working properly. Please explain this.

Your help will be much appreciated. This is all very new to me.

• Arie 224 posts 675 karma points
    Aug 16, 2013 @ 22:30
    Arie

Do you have full (e.g. RDP) access to the web server that currently hosts the site?

There's no need to first install a blank copy of Umbraco. Steps:

1. Copy the web site folder from the old server to the new server.
    2. Configure IIS on the new server.
    3. Make a backup of the database from the old server and import it in the new environment.
    4. After importing the database you'll need to set up the database user account and link it to the database.

You may need to make a few more changes (e.g. mail server settings), but the above steps should get you up and running. Of course you'll also have to update the appropriate A-records in DNS.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft