Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Luis de Barros 1 post 22 karma points
    Aug 27, 2013 @ 17:03
    Luis de Barros

My experiences installing Umbraco v6.1.4

Running Windows 2008 R2.  The unique thing is that we were trying to deploy this on a DMZ; i.e. behind a couple of layers of firewalls and grant access through SSL only which is our standard practice.

Created a new vdir and the application pool.  Did a manual install as the automated package won't have access to pull content from the Internet (more on that later).

Permissions; the installation instructions omit a bunch of folders and a couple of files:

/config, /views, /css, /bin, /config, /media/ /usercontrols,and /xslt need  to be added where the IUSR needs modify access. That should be added to the instructions.

The /web.config has to be changed to grant modify rights to IUSR.  I believe this is only needed during the install process.  Once I changed the permissions there, the database configuration was able to proceed.

the folders /views/partials and /views/macropartials don't exist.

Had the the misfortune of the 5% stalling issue when creating and then connecting to a CE database. Tried alternate browsers no luck.  Also see http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/39549-Umbraco-v6-clean-install-stuck-at-5 and http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/42781-Installation-hangs-at-Connecting-to-database-5 

I went ahead and had the option of deploying SQLExpress and I did.  That allowed me to complete the process once I also modified the web.config settings.  I suspect the permissions on that file also prevented me to do the CE install initially.

The problem was after; can't pull down any starter packages.  Uploading it via the admin console from a local package causes this:

[UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\inetpub\mysite\Views\SW_Master.cshtml' is denied.] 

The file does not exist. 

It should be noted that as a I run under SSL only, there are a lot of references that don't seem to use relative path and cause IE to throw alerts. 

Also seeing this error:

2013-08-27 07:52:16,250 [10] INFO  Umbraco.Core.ApplicationContext - [Thread 1] CurrentVersion different from configStatus: '6.1.4',''

And finally, it would be nice to reduce the amount of permissions either post-deployment or change the path on some of the default folders (e.g. I tried to change App_Data in the web.config and it looks like they are a few hard-coded references to that folder which caused some errors until I changed it back).

I think the 6.1.4 package should include the missing folders and the manual installation instructions should include the missing folders and web.config.  Those aren't really bugs so not sure how I can assist with that?

At this point in time, I'm debating about doing a manual install on wide open dev workstation and then copying it to the segregated staging server (and updating the db reference).  At least to get the site started.

Overall looks like a very promising CMS, and keen on getting it going over the next few days.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft