Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Leadeye 3 posts 23 karma points
    Oct 05, 2009 @ 07:46
    Leadeye

404 errors - even when run straight from VS 2008

Hi All,

I'm just getting ready to do my first install. However, when I attempt to run default.aspx, install/default.aspx or umbraco/login.aspx (or any file for that matter) it gives me a 404 error, but only AFTER changing the url to:

http://localhost:54335/install/default.aspx?redir=true&url=/websitename/default.aspx

I'm using Visual Studio 2008 to attempt to run the file (which uses the build in VS web dev server).

I'm running off a MySQL database, which it connects to in order to run the scripts, etc. I have ASP.Net AJAX Installed.

Any clues would be fantastic. Hopefully this is enough info.

Cheers
    Leadeye

Oct 05, 2009 @ 08:06
    Leadeye

Just a quick update, I've also tried a solution that I found in the old forums, with no success:

http://forum.umbraco.org/yaf_postst1202_Umbraco-Doesnt-Know-Its-Installed.aspx (unless this is about a different issue).

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Oct 05, 2009 @ 12:41
    Douglas Robar

Is there a reason you want to compile and run from VS? Especially when new to umbraco it is easiest to use the pre-compiled binaries. Only in very rare situations do you need to modify the core because of the architecture and ease of extending umbraco.

cheers,
    doug.

Oct 06, 2009 @ 07:13
    Leadeye

Well the reason that I started in VS is because I wanted to edit the web.config to use MySQL. Is there another way to get the site up and running with MySQL?

Once I did that and opened the site, it appeared to install all of the scripts fine, but once that was done, I began getting the 404 errors.

I will hopefully get a chance later in the week to install Cassini so I will post an update once I've given that a try.

Still, any other ideas would be most welcome!

Thanks
    Leadeye

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft