Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Deron Johnson 83 posts 114 karma points
    Sep 06, 2013 @ 16:38
    Deron Johnson

Upgrading Issues

I am upgrading our 4.7 version to 4.11.10 and using the upgrade instructions provided on this site, which basically states to replace the /bin, /umbraco and /umbraco_client folder and then merge any changes needed in the web.config and umbracoSettings.config (we made no other .config file changes). I do that and when I hit the umbraco/umbraco.aspx link it gives me the login page but after logging in I get the error below. Any ideas?

"Values cannot be returned until resolution is frozen" - I only replaced the folder listed above (copied over the existing ones).....do the other folders need to be deleted and replaced? The instructions implied that those folders did not need updating.

Thanks

Sep 10, 2013 @ 21:12
    Deron Johnson

Anyone?  Anyone? Buellar?    I researched this and found nothing on it except removing the global.aspx, which I don't seem to have any either the old or new files.   Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks..

• Matt Barlow | jacker.io 164 posts 740 karma points c-trib
    Sep 10, 2013 @ 21:49
    Matt Barlow | jacker.io

Did you check out this:

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/37588-Umbraco-site-broke-after-upgrade

Have you done the steps in the last post? ie, you have to upgrade step by step, 4.7, to 4.8..

Can you recheck all the steps here:

http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/version-specific

Matt

• Matt Barlow | jacker.io 164 posts 740 karma points c-trib
    Sep 10, 2013 @ 21:57
    Sep 11, 2013 @ 21:51
    Deron Johnson

Yes, I upgraded step to step on the link above from 4.7 to 4.8, and through each upgrade from there.   I also checked the referred links and could not find a global*.* or global.* files.   I started over and here are the steps I took and current error...

1) Stopped current Umbraco website in IIS

2) Copied over the \bin, \umbraco, \Umbraco_client and \installs folder over the existing same folders

3) Merged the only changes in configs for umbracoSettings.config and web.config and copied the remainder of the new \config files over the old ones.

4) Did the version specifc upgrade changes from 4.7 thru 4.10

5) started IIS site and hit /umbraco/umbraco.aspx     ..... now I don't get the login or "frozen" error.  I get the error below.....not even sure where to start troubleshooting this one.  Please advise...

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule.BeginRequest(HttpContextBase httpContext) +30
       System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +79
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +269

• Funka! 398 posts 661 karma points
    Sep 25, 2013 @ 00:37
    Funka!

The file to delete when moving past 4.7.2 is in the /bin/ folder, called App_global.asax.dll (not global.asax,which is a different file).

Also note a few other files in the /bin/ folder when moving past earlier 4.7.0 versions htat need to be deleted too, such as Mirosoft.Scripting.dll, Iron.dll, RazorEngine.dll, and possibly others. Refer to the "version-specific" upgrade notes.

(Although what I've always done is read the release notes for every version in between where i'm starting and where i'm heading, and consolidate these notes into a giant list to follow, in case the upgrade documentation fails to mention any important points.) My final advice is to just be extra careful to painstakingly merge your config files and double-check everything.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft