Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jebastin 42 posts 91 karma points
    Sep 26, 2013 @ 08:50
    Jebastin

Unable to upgrade Umbraco using NuGet

I've tried to upgrade Umbraco version from 4 to 6 and got the following error. Any solution?

PM> Update-Package UmbracoCms
    Update-Package : Unable to find package 'UmbracoCms'.
    At line:1 char:15
    + Update-Package <<<< UmbracoCms
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Update-Package], InvalidOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NuGetCmdletUnhandledException,NuGet.PowerShell.Commands.UpdatePackageCommand
  • Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Sep 26, 2013 @ 19:00
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jebsatin

I don't know that much about nuget but what is the exact Umbraco version you want to upgrade from? Perhaps it's not possible before reaching a certain revision?

/Jan

• Robin Hansen 135 posts 368 karma points
    Oct 06, 2014 @ 14:08
    Robin Hansen

I've got the same issue - upgrading ver. 7.1.6 to 7.1.7 :-(

• Marc Goodson 2141 posts 14344 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Nov 30, 2014 @ 23:06
    Marc Goodson

Check your nuget packages.config file, and see if UmbracoCms is listed there as a package, if you didn't originally install Umbraco via Nuget or if you just installed the UmbracoCMS.Core dlls, then you won't be able to use the Nuget command to Update-Packet to upgrade Umbraco.

When I've come across this with older sites I've inherited, depending on their complexity, I've just created a new clean visual studio solution file, used nuget to install the latest shiny version of 7, but then before running the solution, changed the connection string to be that of the old database (backing up first of course) and then run the new solution, which runs the installer (and after manually deleting / creating various indexes on the database tables depending on how old the original version of umbaco was) you end up with an upgraded database, and a clean solution, then I've ported across the implementation files:  media, views, js, css, plugins dlls etc as necessary, which is a bit fiddly but the result is a solution I can nuget upgrade simply 'next time'.

• Jonas Gunnarsson 44 posts 194 karma points
    Dec 18, 2014 @ 14:27
    Jonas Gunnarsson

I have the same problem, and I can see UmbracoCms listed in packages.config

<package id="UmbracoCms" version="7.0.3" targetFramework="net40" requireReinstallation="True" />

Is there anything else I can look at?

/Jonas

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 18, 2014 @ 14:43
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jonas

Any chance you have Resharper enabled? If so try disabling it during the upgrade.

/Jan

• Jonas Gunnarsson 44 posts 194 karma points
    Dec 19, 2014 @ 06:56
    Jonas Gunnarsson

Now I got it worked, I had some nuget package missing.

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft