Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• cbae 18 posts 40 karma points
    Oct 07, 2013 @ 23:55
    cbae

Upgrading to v6.1.6

I'm currently running Umbraco v5.0.0 RTM, and I checked the version-specific upgrade page, and there doesn't seem to be any instructions for this version upgrade. I also checked the historical releases on the "Download" page, and version 5.0.0 doesn't even exist. What is going on?

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Oct 08, 2013 @ 00:09
    Dennis Aaen

Hi cbae,

Don´ t know if there is any upgrade documentation for Umbraco v5, if there is I haven´t succeded found it.

The reason why you can´t find the version 5 of Umbraco on the download page is because the Umbraco5 is dead. You can read more about it here:

http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2012/6/13/v5-rip.aspx and Niels talked about it in his Keynote from CodeGarden 12 here: http://stream.umbraco.org/video/6408801/codegarden-12-keynote.

/Dennis

Oct 08, 2013 @ 00:44
    cbae

Thanks for the info. I should have paid more attention to what was going on last year. Do you happen to know what made v5.0 so complex? Was it because of weird generalized database schema?

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Oct 08, 2013 @ 08:21
    Rich Green

Niels explains alot about v5 being scrapped here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR9k5W9DRms

Oct 08, 2013 @ 08:28
    Dennis Aaen

Hi cbae,

I think the Umbraco v5 was too complex to get started with and learn, it´s also was Niels i said in the keynote from CodeGarden 2012. Another thing I've heard is there where some performance issues of the Umbraco v5. Again Niels comment on that in the keynote.

I must say that I haven´t spend so much time with the version 5 of Umbraco. I only played with it on a localhost installation, back then when it was released.

I hope this post answer your issues about Umbraco v5.

I do not know if it could be a possibility, but I think you could try make a clean install of Umbraco version 6.1.6 and export packages of your content and macros and other stuff, from your Umbraco 5 installation and try to see if it is possible to loaded into the 6.1.6 clean install of Umbraco. Since I do not have any Umbraco 5 running, or have spend so much time with the v5  as I mentioned I did not test whether is possible to do, so I do not know if whether you will encounter some problem by doing this.

It's just my thoughts how you maybe could do the upgrade.

/Dennis

Oct 14, 2013 @ 08:25
    Dennis Aaen

Hi cbae,

Did you find a possible way to upgrade your Umbraco version 5 to the new Umbraco 6.1.6. If so what worked? Did you try my suggestion. Or did you find another way to upgrade?

Looking forward to hear what you have found out. If you managed it :-)

/Dennis

Oct 15, 2013 @ 05:36
    cbae

I deployed Umbraco 5 in the first place because it was based on MVC and supported Razor syntax. When I installed 6.1.6, I noticed that it was back to the old style XSLT, which I don't really feel like learning. So I decided to go with a different CMS.

Oct 15, 2013 @ 08:03
    Dennis Aaen

Hi cbae,

Yes it´s because in Umbraco 6.x.x you can with both technologies XSLT and Razor. As far as I know in version 5, you have only the Razor option. It´s also possible to work with two types of templating technologies in Umbraco. WebForms (Masterpages) or MVC (views) So Umbraco 6.x.x supports MVC, but not by default. For change to MVC you have to:

Find the the /Config/umbracoSettings.config file, find this section and set the type you'd like to use (Mvc or WebForms):

<templates> <defaultRenderingEngine>Mvc</defaultRenderingEngine> </templates> 

Plase note that MVC Templating is only available from v4.10+

And I think the reason they support XSLT again is to make Umbraco accessible to many developers as possible.

/Dennis

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft