Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Carpadum 1 post 21 karma points
    Oct 07, 2009 @ 18:43
    Carpadum

Help me understand Multisite IIS vs Subsite

Here is what we are trying to accomplish with win 2008 IIS installation:

Multiple websites.  i.e.  right click on "sites" and select "Add Web Site"  give the site a name, host header and home drive location.

www.domainA.com

www.domainB.com

parts.domainA.com

store.domainB.com

All of these sites are installed with home directories on D:/www/(sitename)/(sitehost)  i.e. d:\domainB\store\   and they have separate application pools.  Some have a need for virtual directories under them that do NOT relate to Umbraco.  These virtual directories point to speciffic applications that are not going to be CMSed.  i.e.  www.domainA.com/application  (where application may run a different version of asp.net and have a different app pool)

Our "default" website still installs to %systemdrive%\inetpub\wwwroot

Umbraco was installed to the default website using the MS Web Platform Installer and it is working at a url  umbraco.domainA.com (host header placed in default website)

How can we use the one instance of umbraco to manage portions of the sites above?  They are on different physical drives and under all kinds of instances and sites.  I have enabled the <usedomainprefixes>true   setting thinking that would allow us to create new domains and sites but I do not see anything in the control panel to do this.  It appears we can only create sites in the folder that umbraco is installed to.

We are running umbraco v 4.0.2.1

Thanks for your detailed replies.....

• Douglas Robar 3570 posts 4711 karma points MVP ∞ admin c-trib
    Oct 07, 2009 @ 21:18
    Douglas Robar

I don't think this is possible the way you have things set up.

The way to run multiple sites within one umbraco installation is to have one IIS site pointing to one umbraco installation. Then, add hostheaders to the IIS site for all the websites that you've got running in the one umbraco installation. That way, all requests will go to umbraco and umbraco will figure out which content to serve up for a given hostname (using the 'manage hostnames' menu in umbraco).

Since you've got individual IIS sites, individual folders, you'd need individual installations of umbraco as well.

You might be able to do something tricky with IIS configs, url rewriting, and other such tactics to have some parts of the website running in the single umbraco instance you've got and other parts running from the other IIS sites but I don't know how that might be done reliably.

cheers,
    doug.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft