Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jeff 5 posts 25 karma points
    Oct 08, 2009 @ 13:20
    Jeff

Evaluating Umbraco

Hi,

We're looking to evaluate Umbraco and I'm having trouble installing it.

I've tried following the manual instructions, but under IIS rather than Cassini (as we would ultimately run it under IIS).  - I kept getting permission problems.

When this didn't work I turned to the web platform installer. The web site seems to install, but the database fails with the following error: "The database 'umbraco' could not be created. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid object name 'sys.databases".  I tried to create the database manually and use that rather than create a new one, but I got the following error:

EXCEPTION: Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentException: An error occurred during execution of the database script. The approximate location of the error was between lines '1' and '46' of the script. The verbose log may have more information about the error. The command started with :
    /*************************************************
     ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Line 10: Incorrect syntax near 'max'.
    Must declare the variable '@dbPwd'.
    Line 17: Incorrect syntax near 'max'.
    Must declare the variable '@dbPwd'.
    Must declare the variable '@cmd'.
    Must declare the variable '@cmd'.

This is Umbraco version 4.0.2.1 on Windows XP, I have all versions of the .NetWork framework installed.  I have created a virtual directory called Umbraco4 to host the site and the web site appears to install ok, it's just the database that fails.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Jeff

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Oct 08, 2009 @ 13:33
    Dirk De Grave

Jeff,

creating a vir dir for umbraco is a no-go (atm, will be solved in future release 4.1 probably)! installation will be ok, but you'll have trouble running the backend admin site as there's still too much hard coded paths involved.

How did you configure the web pi? Can you tell us step by step, as I've never had any issue with installing umbraco using the webpi.

Looking forward to your info.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Oct 08, 2009 @ 15:02
    Jeff

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. 

The lack of support for vir. dir. will be an issue for us, although I'm sure we can over come this.

The settings that I used in PI are:

Step 1:

Web Site: default web site

'Umbraco' application name: Umbraco4

The others on this step were all the defaults as they were not editable

Step2:

Database: SQL Server

Create or use existing db: create new database

I then entered our db admin username and password

database username: umbracouser

I then entered and confirmed a password for this user

location of database server: I entered the server name (this name is reachable from my pc)

database name: umbraco

I'm currently trying to install the site on my desktop pc, hence the vir. dir, as I have other developments in different vir dir. and putting the site in the root would be a problem.  I can find a server elsewhere and install on that in the root, or possible use Cassini, I was trying to use IIS as that is ultimately what we will host on and I thought would give the best test.

TIA.

Jeff

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Oct 08, 2009 @ 15:09
    Rich Green

One way of running multiple sites under XP using IIsAdmin, info here http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/iisadminnet.aspx 

Oct 08, 2009 @ 15:38
    Jeff

Thanks Rich, that looks it will help me get round my probelm.  I'll take a look.

Oct 08, 2009 @ 15:54
    Jeff

I've now installed Umbraco in the the website root rather than in a virtual directory and I get a failure trying to create the database.  The following is an extract from the log:

[14:52:471]Creating database 'umbraco'.
    EXCEPTION: Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentException: The database 'umbraco' could not be created. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Invalid object name 'sys.databases'.
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteNonQueryTds(String methodName, Boolean async)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DBInfo.CreateDatabase(Int32 timeout)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentObject.Add(DeploymentObject source, DeploymentSyncContext syncContext)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentSyncContext.HandleAdd(DeploymentObject destObject, DeploymentObject sourceObject)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentSyncContext.HandleUpdate(DeploymentObject destObject, DeploymentObject sourceObject)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentSyncContext.SyncChildrenOrder(DeploymentObject dest, DeploymentObject source)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentSyncContext.SyncChildren(DeploymentObject dest, DeploymentObject source)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentSyncContext.ProcessSync(DeploymentObject destinationObject, DeploymentObject sourceObject)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentObject.SyncToInternal(DeploymentObject destObject, DeploymentSyncOptions syncOptions, PayloadTable payloadTable, ContentRootTable contentRootTable)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentObject.SyncTo(DeploymentProviderOptions providerOptions, DeploymentBaseOptions baseOptions, DeploymentSyncOptions syncOptions)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentObject.SyncTo(String provider, String path, DeploymentBaseOptions baseOptions, DeploymentSyncOptions syncOptions)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentObject.SyncTo(DeploymentWellKnownProvider provider, String path, DeploymentBaseOptions baseOptions, DeploymentSyncOptions syncOptions)
       at Microsoft.Web.Deployment.DeploymentObject.SyncTo(DeploymentBaseOptions baseOptions, DeploymentSyncOptions syncOptions)
       at Microsoft.Web.PlatformInstaller.MSDeployProxy.Install(InstallerContext context, RemoteCredentials remoteCredentials)

• Alec Griffiths 129 posts 151 karma points
    Oct 08, 2009 @ 22:18
    Alec Griffiths

Have you created a db and asociated a user with owner writes to that db?

Is your connection sting correct?

Oct 09, 2009 @ 08:52
    Jeff

I've tried both using an existing db and creating a new db.  For an exisiting db I know the user has the correct permissions for the create new db I assume that the script creates the db and user?  In both cases the the connection string is correct.

• Alec Griffiths 129 posts 151 karma points
    Oct 09, 2009 @ 15:18
    Alec Griffiths

This is what I do (there may be installers, you might be able to just use your sa account but for me I like to know what is going on):
    1.    Ensure SQL server is running :-) I dot know what version you are using or the OS
    2.    [you decide what goes in the brackets]
    3.    Create a new database [umb_db]
    4.    in SQLS Management Studio Security>Logins>Right click create new
    5.    Give a name [umb_admin]
    6.    Select SQL Server authentication and give a password
    7.    Set default db to be [umb_db]
    8.    Do the same again for another user [umb_web]
    9.    Now go to [umb_db]>security>users> [umb_admin] right click properties>general>role members>set to db_owner
    10.    Same for [umb_web] but select only db_datareader & db_datawriter
    11.    Now open your sites web.config and under  <appSettings> set/change:
        <add key="umbracoDbDSN" value="server=.;database=[umb_db];user id=[umb_admin];password=[umb_admin_PW]" />
    12.    Start IIS and open your site install. After install change the line in pint 11 to use your [umb_web] user & PW
    13.    Delete the website install folder.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft