Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ed Johnson 8 posts 58 karma points
    Oct 17, 2013 @ 15:18
    Ed Johnson

Cannot see Content Nodes after moving database to stagging

Hello friends,

Let me begin by saying that I am fairly new to Umbraco, so please forgive me if this question is trivial. I have been working on a site locally for a while, now the rest of my development team needs access to my project. To do this, we moved the database to a stagging server and we are using a repo for the project files. 

Locally everything works as expected; however, once we moved the database to the stagging server, we can't access, or see, any of the main Content nodes, that is the childern of the Content directory in the admin page, which are essentially all of our pages. 

Strangely, however, we can see everything else, our scripts, macros, templates, etc., just not the main Content Nodes. We thought it could be a permissions issue, however, after following this post: http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup/set-umbraco-folder-permissions-from-command-line, the problem remains. 

Also, if we change the connection string and make it reference the local copy of the database, everything goes back to normal.

Another thing  I think is worth mentioning: Our local database, the one we started the project with, was built using SQL Server 2012 while the stagging server database was built using genereated scripts of the original database in SQL Server 2008. When the query executed, we got several foreign key errors, but all the data seemed to be there. Could this be the issue?

I hope someone can help us with this issue, as we are on a tight schedule.

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Oct 17, 2013 @ 15:24
    Rich Green

Hey Ed,

I would check your permissions, both file & DB permissions.

You can check this using uGoLive in the Developer section.

Your data will be there, I wouldnt' worry too much about the scripting, can't see that causing a problem

Rich

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Oct 17, 2013 @ 15:39
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Ed,

I know that you said that the permissions have been set by following the link that you post. Just to be sure can you check if your file permissions are good at this URL.

http://yourdomain.com/install/?installStep=filepermissions

Or another thing you could do to verify the folder permissions are good is by using the uGoLive checklist in the developer section (second tab). Have you tried this tool to see if it´s passed the checks.

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/ugolive

That is just my thoughts what you could check, to get your content tree back. I hope you will succeed to get the content tree back in time :-)

/Dennis

• Ed Johnson 8 posts 58 karma points
    Oct 18, 2013 @ 17:09
    Ed Johnson

Hello again friends,

Firstly, thank you so much Rich and Dennis for your prompt and helpful replies. 

We were able to fix all the issues we were having. As it turns out, all the problems were caused by moving the database to a stagging server. The culprit seemed to be the different versions of SQL Server we were using. Several statements were not executed properly on the SQL Server 2008 database, this caused certain data to not be present in that database, which caused all the issues. 

After further investigation, we noticed an error along the lines of: GET http://localhost:56429/umbraco/webservices/TreeDataService.ashx?rnd=d16f1ddb81f3482ead50a34f68a35d2f&id=-1&treeType=users&contextMenu=true&isDialog=false&rnd2=35.6 500 (Internal Server Error). When we clicked on that link, we got the actual error: "No node exists with id '-21'. When we looked at the local database, the SQL Server 2012 database, that entry was present, but it was not present on the SQL Server 2008 database. We added that entry to the SQL Server 2008 database, and all was fine again. 

We ran into several other issues, all related to the same database problem, in which we were missing the Umbraco default datatypes. Again, this was a database issue and it was fixed by adding the entries to the database. 

I went in depth with my solution to hopefully help someone else in the future :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft