Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Debbie Lawrenson 55 posts 75 karma points
    Oct 31, 2013 @ 12:22
    Debbie Lawrenson

Trouble getting a site to go live.

Hi all,

I know this is a common issue and I seriously can't wait for U7 to be released I'll be on it like goodness know what.

So here's the story:

I have developed a local U6 site which works great. I have a VPS on which I'd like to host the live site. I have uploaded all the files and amended all the permissions on the files/folders. I backed up the DB and restored it on the live server remotely via SSMS. I changed the path to the DB in the web config file from localhost to the server IP address.

When I run the site I get this error (umbraco user is the DB user specified in the web config file):

Server Error in '/' Application.

Login failed for user 'umbraco'.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'umbraco'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): Login failed for user 'umbraco'.] System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, UInt32 waitForMultipleObjectsTimeout, Boolean allowCreate, Boolean onlyOneCheckConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) +414 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, TaskCompletionSource1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) +78 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) +167 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) +143 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource1 retry) +83 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +96 Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteReader(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters) +60 umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelpers.SqlServer.SqlServerHelper.ExecuteReader(String commandText, SqlParameter[] parameters) +37 umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteReader(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) +82

[SqlHelperException: Umbraco Exception (DataLayer): SQL helper exception in ExecuteReader] umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper1.ExecuteReader(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) +202 umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.<GetDomains>b__0() +77 Umbraco.Core.Cache.HttpRuntimeCacheProvider.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, CacheDependency cacheDependency, Nullable1 timeout, Func1 getCacheItem, Object syncLock) +141 Umbraco.Core.Cache.HttpRuntimeCacheProvider.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, CacheDependency cacheDependency, Nullable1 timeout, Func1 getCacheItem) +116 Umbraco.Core.Cache.HttpRuntimeCacheProvider.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, Nullable1 timeout, Func1 getCacheItem) +97 Umbraco.Core.Cache.HttpRuntimeCacheProvider.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, Nullable1 timeout, Func1 getCacheItem) +94 Umbraco.Core.Cache.HttpRuntimeCacheProvider.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, Nullable1 timeout, Func1 getCacheItem) +91 Umbraco.Core.CacheHelper.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, TimeSpan timeout, Func1 getCacheItem) +253 umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.GetDomains(Boolean includeWildcards) +151 Umbraco.Web.Routing.PublishedContentRequestEngine.FindDomain() +223 Umbraco.Web.Routing.PublishedContentRequestEngine.PrepareRequest() +16 Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule.ProcessRequest(HttpContextBase httpContext) +316 Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule.

I am stumped - no idea what to try now. That user is in the DB so no idea what's going on.

Any ideas? Should I have done this differently? I spent all day yesterday trying to get this site live with no real success. Should I be doing it a different way?

Thank you!!

Deb

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Oct 31, 2013 @ 13:27
    Dan Lister

Have you created an 'umbraco' sql server login with the same credentials as your local sql server instance? From your stack trace, the login credentials specified in your connection string don't seem to be working.

If you have created the sql server login, have you given the 'umbraco' sql server login 'db_owner' rights on the database?

• Debbie Lawrenson 55 posts 75 karma points
    Oct 31, 2013 @ 13:51
    Debbie Lawrenson

Hi Dan,

Thanks for this. I have done this. I've added a new user and then added him to the security logins bit. Is this what you mean? This is the user in the connection string also. Still getting the user login error. This time for the new user admin_TMP (I had to create a new user as the DB username and password was as standar and not very secure).

Server Error in '/' Application.

Login failed for user 'admin_TMP'.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'admin_TMP'.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): Login failed for user 'admin_TMP'.] System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, UInt32 waitForMultipleObjectsTimeout, Boolean allowCreate, Boolean onlyOneCheckConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) +414 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, TaskCompletionSource1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) +78 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) +167 System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) +143 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource1 retry) +83 System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +96 Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteReader(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters) +60 umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelpers.SqlServer.SqlServerHelper.ExecuteReader(String commandText, SqlParameter[] parameters) +37 umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteReader(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) +82

[SqlHelperException: Umbraco Exception (DataLayer): SQL helper exception in ExecuteReader] umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper1.ExecuteReader(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) +202 umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.<GetDomains>b__0() +77 Umbraco.Core.Cache.HttpRuntimeCacheProvider.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, CacheDependency cacheDependency, Nullable1 timeout, Func1 getCacheItem, Object syncLock) +141 Umbraco.Core.Cache.HttpRuntimeCacheProvider.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, CacheDependency cacheDependency, Nullable1 timeout, Func1 getCacheItem) +116 Umbraco.Core.Cache.HttpRuntimeCacheProvider.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, CacheItemPriority priority, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, Nullable1 timeout, Func1 getCacheItem) +97 Umbraco.Core.Cache.HttpRuntimeCacheProvider.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, CacheItemRemovedCallback refreshAction, Nullable1 timeout, Func1 getCacheItem) +94 Umbraco.Core.Cache.HttpRuntimeCacheProvider.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, Nullable1 timeout, Func1 getCacheItem) +91 Umbraco.Core.CacheHelper.GetCacheItem(String cacheKey, TimeSpan timeout, Func1 getCacheItem) +253 umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Domain.GetDomains(Boolean includeWildcards) +151 Umbraco.Web.Routing.PublishedContentRequestEngine.FindDomain() +223 Umbraco.Web.Routing.PublishedContentRequestEngine.PrepareRequest() +16 Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule.ProcessRequest(HttpContextBase httpContext) +316 Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Oct 31, 2013 @ 14:09
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Debbie,

Maybe this can be a help at some point.

Maybe it can be the TCP/IP (from page 6 and forward in the pdf) had to be enabled.

http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/45509-Connecting-to-the-SQL-Server-fails!

/Dennis

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Oct 31, 2013 @ 15:15
    Rich Green

Can you try using the instance name rather than the IP address?

(Not that it helps you right now, but V7 is not going to fix this, your db/site just needs to be configured correctly)

Rich

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft