Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ken Sykora 17 posts 53 karma points
    Oct 31, 2013 @ 22:20
    Ken Sykora

Syncing Media Files

Hey everyone --

I'm trying to come up with a solution to a situation that doesn't look like it has been covered yet. Basically, we have a whole development team working on an Umbraco project and there's a dev server that we deploy to (public facing) for client reviews. Additionally, we have a content server that we promote dev -> content on a semi-regular basis when we're ready to have our clients do content entry.

We have the site deployments basically automated, where we run MSDeploy after a successful build and all media are deployed. The problem is that media that our content editors are uploading aren't included in that build, which presents an interesting problem:

What's the best way to handle user uploaded content with Umbraco?

Also consider the scenario where Umbraco is on a load balanced server, and the user uploads an image to it. How does that image (the actual file itself) get published to the other instances in the load balancer?

I realize courier is out there, but it doesn't seem like a good option. Ultimately I'd like to see media files completely excluded from source control and deployed elsewhere. My current best solution right now involves manually syncing of the /media directory with robocopy or powershell or something, or possibly creating a git submodule out of /media and having some post build scripts update media assets before and after deployments.

Would be interested in any insight that you have had success with around this.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft