Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Shafiq 12 posts 62 karma points
    Nov 04, 2013 @ 07:01
    Shafiq

Set up site on local IIS

Hi All,

I upgraded from 4.7.2 to umbraco 6.1.5. Itworks fine through VS 2012 integrated server. I tried to create same site on my local IIS but each time I browse any page, I am getting error:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.UmbracoDefault.OnPreInit(EventArgs e) +248
       System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit() +48
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1843

Trace Details:
    [NullReferenceException]: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at umbraco.UmbracoDefault.OnPreInit(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
    [HttpUnhandledException]: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
       at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Note that I have provided Network service permission to the root folder and pool is configured .Net 4 with integrated pipeline. Accessing any image, js or css file through browser works perfectly.

IIS site settings:

App Pool setting:

My Settings: IIS version: 7.5, OS: Windows 7, Umbraco version: 6.1.5

Note that umbraco page is loaded successfully. But, if I browse backend umbraco page, always redirect to login page. If provide wrong credential then it notifies. But, if proper credentials are provided the page still remain in the login page without rederict.

As per my understanding, I have not installed "file path fixup package" during the upgradation assuming 6.1.5 has the fix included. Is it the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 05, 2013 @ 23:45
    Shafiq

I got the solution. Want to share if somebody face similar situation in future.

I used integrated pipeline mode which was wrong. After assigning to “Classic” pipeline mode for App pool, it started behaving better. Make sure the Identity is set to “Network Service”. Also the root folder should have “Network Service” with write permission. If there is security concern of root folder then atleast App_Data folder should have write permission.

If you get error like ISAP and CGI Restrions related then just follow the link below.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6202145/handler-pagehandlerfactory-isapi-4-0-32bit-has-a-bad-module-isapimodule-in-i

Hope it will be helpful.

Cheers

Shafiq

• Mark Bennett 199 posts 375 karma points
    Nov 06, 2013 @ 13:56
    Mark Bennett

Shafiq,

Although this may have worked for you it is not necesarily a fix for everyone. There are benefits to running your websites in integrated pipeline mode under the app pool account.

I believe you should only be running Classic mode for older applications.

The original problem sounds like you didn't give the apppool account enough privileges to the Umbraco directory.

Glad you got it sorted though.

Cheers,
    Mark. 

Nov 07, 2013 @ 05:10
    Shafiq

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the input. Well, I tried to follow your suggestion and found different outcome on 2 different sites. I have 2 sites configured on my local IIS with same following settings. I have provided read permission on root folder and read/write permission on App_Data folder for any user on my machine and DefaultAppPool.

Settings: IIS 7.5, Windows 7

Umbraco 4.7.2 works but umbraco 6.1.5 does not work. I get following error:
    [NullReferenceException]: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at umbraco.UmbracoDefault.OnPreInit(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit()
    [HttpUnhandledException]: Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.
       at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
       at ASP.default_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\0313fc80\b2289e51\App_Web_default.aspx.cdcab7d2.nmtqoluw.0.cs:line 0
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
       at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

I got success for 6.1.5 only with Classic pipeline mode. Any idea?

Thanks in advance

Shafiq

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 08:32
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Shafiq,

Have you tried set up your Umbraco installation by following this guide: http://www.franklinogsimonsen.dk/media/856/install_umbraco_4_on_windows_vista.pdf I know this is an old Umbraco 4 guide, but I think you also can use it when you need to put an Umbraco 6.1.6 up locally.

Hope this helps.

/Dennis

Nov 08, 2013 @ 07:15
    Shafiq

Hi Mark and Dennis,

As per Mark, Integrated pipeline mode should be used for 6.1.5. But, the guide provided by Dennis suggested Classic pipeline. I am confused now.

Though I have tried with Integrated mode by providing full (read, write) permission to "Network Service", "DefaultAppPool", "IIS_IUSRS" even "Everyone"  on root folder. Physical Path Credentials either "Specific User" or "Application User".

Nothing worked. I get above mentioned behavior. I dont have explanation why same setting works for 4.7.2 but not 6.1.5. Do I have to make any code/*.config file change?

Please provide somme screenshot of your settings if possible.

Thanks in advance

Shafiq

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft