Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Elliot Spaull 8 posts 55 karma points
    Nov 05, 2013 @ 23:36
    Elliot Spaull

Can't get the web installer to run

Hi guys,

I'm almost certain I'm doing something incredibly stupid here, but I just can't get the web installer to run.

I'm using Visual Studio 2013 Express, created a new Empty MVC 4 Web Application and used NuGet to install Umbraco 6.1.6. 

I've changed the default rendering engine to Mvc in the umbracoSettings file but when I build and run the application, I get this error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Umbraco.Core.Configuration.UmbracoSettings.GetKey(String key) +124
       Umbraco.Core.Configuration.UmbracoSettings.get_AuthCookieName() +14
       Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule.AuthenticateRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e) +170
       System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +136
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +69

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.18408#

Unfortunately I'm too dumb to figure out what exactly is wrong!

Sorry if this issue has been posted before, I had a look around but couldn't see anything, and no amount of googling has helped me (which is what leads me to believe I'm doing something incredibly stupid).

I'd appreciate any help!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Nov 06, 2013 @ 07:54
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Looks like you have some cookie from another localhost site that is unable to be read. Try clearing your cookies for localhost, should help.

• Elliot Spaull 8 posts 55 karma points
    Nov 07, 2013 @ 20:15
    Elliot Spaull

Thanks, but unfortunately that didn't seem to help.

Would posting my umbracoSettings or web.config help at all?

• Jonathan Richards 288 posts 1742 karma points MVP
    Oct 07, 2014 @ 10:39
    Jonathan Richards

I know this is many months later, but for anyone else who gets this error, it was caused for me by not including config/umbracoSettings.config in the installation package when I tried to install to a new server. The reason it wasn't include in the build, was I didn't wish to overwrite any existing umbracoSetting.config that might have been on the server due to it running as a farm, and so each umbracoSetting.config was unique.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft