Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Carlos 338 posts 472 karma points
    Nov 06, 2013 @ 18:38
    Carlos

Upgrade from 4.9.1 to 4.10 getting Null reference on front end

I followed the instructions on the upgrade from 4.9 to 4.10 on http://our.umbraco.org/contribute/releases/4101/. My ultimate goal is to get to 4.11.9 so I am taking version steps to get to it going for 4.10 first then upgrading to 4.11.9.  

I did the following as per the instructions

Upgrading from 4.9.x to 4.10.0

Overwrite the following folders with the folders from the zip file:

• /App_Plugins (new)
    • /bin
    • /install (remove after the upgrade is finished)
    • /umbraco
    • /umbraco_client
    • /Views (new)
    • /global.asax (don't forget!)
    BUT after I did my upgrad I got a null reference error.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       umbraco.UmbracoDefault.OnPreInit(EventArgs e) +22
       System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit() +48
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1715

I did the install steps, web.config was updated correctly using WinMerge and the version is showing 4.10

What would have caused this issue?

Thanks,

Carlos

• Carlos 338 posts 472 karma points
    Nov 06, 2013 @ 19:58
    Carlos

OK there were evidently A LOT of changes from 4.9.1 to 4.10.x.  I ended up upgrading to 4.10.1 instead after seeing the many issues people were having with 4.10.1. I also brought over any changes from the Upgrade config document. This REALLY helps out.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1R1cYt3a5gJLdhU5wvUsP-7KPaHbCO-gnzm07FRNk51c/edit

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft