Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• NickAE 1 post 21 karma points
    Nov 11, 2013 @ 19:00
    NickAE

Evaluating Installing 6.1.6

I have spent a frustrating day trying to install Umbraco 6.1.6 to evaluate. I am regularly developing in C#, .NET, SQL Server as well as HTML5/CSS3/Javascript. The environment I was installing to is Win 7/IIS 7.5/SQL Server 2008 R2

I used the Web Platform Installer Package to install Umbraco 6.1.6 and can see that the DB and the IIS Application have been created and can run the admin page.

However, all attempts to use a “Starter” kit have failed miserably.  If I select one during the install, then I get messages in my home page saying various .XSLT files can’t be accessed – and indeed they don’t exist in the path given.

If I try to install a Starter Kit from the admin page – I get a message to the effect that various “.ascx” files can’t be executed – again – no sign of them in the path.

I have looked around various forums, and most posts refer to 4.x not 6.x. So are the Starter kits actually compatible with 6.1.6 or do I have to work from scratch?

Is 6.1.6 too new for someone like me, if so which version should I install? (Presumably manually!) Or am I doing something wrong?

Update: I tried a manual install of 6.1.6. Now every time I try to install a Starter kit I get:

“Oops...the installer can't connect to the repository”

And before you ask: No, I don’t use a proxy and Yes, I have access to the internet.

Further Update: Now the same if I just install with the Web Package Installer using the same options that (sorta) “worked” previously. Seems to be trying to access “packages.umbraco.org” and not getting a response.

Help - please!

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Nov 11, 2013 @ 21:22
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Hi there Nick! We've been having a few problems with that particular server and I'm looking into it. I'm very sorry for your trouble. I'll let you know when I have an update for you.

• Jack Orion 5 posts 25 karma points
    Nov 11, 2013 @ 23:24
    Jack Orion

Same problem as NickAE. I'm a fairly experienced programmer, but occasional webdesigner, evaluating Umbraco 6.1.6.

I followed all the steps, then Starter Kit installation fails at \?installstep with the "Oops...the installer can't connect to the repository".  I then lost several hours of my pathetic life ferretting around the known universe for permissions issues, configs ... anything!  Hey ho - there's a server problem at your end.  

How about setting up a server status page? 

When you have an update please let me know too.

BTW It's not clear which umbraco support docs are likely to be up-to-date. It would be helpful if all docs were dated, e.g. "Last reviewed April 1, 2013. Valid for umbraco v1.2.3"

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5058 posts 15520 karma points MVP admin hq
    Nov 12, 2013 @ 14:42
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Thank you for your patience. The packages server is back up and installing starter kits should work fine again.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft