Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andrew 142 posts 98 karma points
    Oct 12, 2009 @ 16:19
    Andrew

Upgrade with Members

Hi all

We have an installation running on 3.05 with approx 11000 members, and a lot of custom controls. The custom controls do not have much integration with the umbraco core, apart from logging in members etc. We are now needing to do a take 2 on the design. I thought this would be an ideal opportunity to move the site to v4 and master pages.

I am happy to re-implement the macros/xslt and document types manually, and then do the re-design directly in a "beta" version of the site. What I am concerned about is that when we do the switch over - I am going to need to transfer all the members to the new site. Added to that, my custom controls write and interact with a separate database. I am linking this database to the umbraco members via the umbracomemberid, so when I do the transfer I need to bring this across, or alternatively write a sql script that will replace the memberid with the new member id.

Sorry if I have not explained this properly, but could someone give me the best option to transfer:

1. Members with their member Id
    2. If possible document types/macros/xslt. I am not worried about the templates as we will redo these

Thanks in advance

Andrew 

• Richard Soeteman 4045 posts 12898 karma points MVP 2x
    Oct 12, 2009 @ 20:10
    Richard Soeteman

Hi Andrew,

Why not just do an upgrade of the current site to 4.0? I did that a few weeks back for a large site, works like a charm. The old templates where converted as masterpages. My advise is to do the upgrade on a test site and then deploy it to the live server when you tested it.

Cheers,

Richard

Oct 13, 2009 @ 11:22
    Andrew

Hi thanks for the reply. The only problem with this is that wen need to have a beta site up so we can do the redesign. I could do that initially, but we would still need to transfer the members after the fact. What i would then like to do is copy my site to a beta site - upgrade to 4, then look at a way of transferring the member or synchronising the members. I am sure there is a tool to do this???

Andrew

• Edward Dudley 80 posts 121 karma points
    Oct 13, 2009 @ 14:14
    Edward Dudley

Perhaps the UmbImport package would help you?

http://www.richardsoeteman.net/PermaLink,guid,189035af-bbc0-4d3f-8d54-9782c06794e7.aspx

You could use your DBMS to export the users and their details to a CSV file, install the UmbImport package on your new setup and then import the users.

It's a really good package - I highly recommend it!  I'm not sure how it would work with the user IDs that your custom controls use though.  Might be worth a look?

Oct 13, 2009 @ 17:39
    Andrew

thanks will give it a try

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft