Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Olbert 87 posts 117 karma points
    Oct 13, 2009 @ 06:06
    Mark Olbert

Installation Munged: Permission Errors, Can't Connect to DB Errors, Etc, Etc, Etc

I don't know if the problems I'm running into are user errors, errors caused by overzealous tech support people at softsyshosting.com, or flaws in Umbraco 4, but I could really use some help. Here's the background:

Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.4016; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.4016

IIS 7.5 (I think)

Stack trace is at the end of this message.

After uploading all the files to the host, creating the database, creating the db user, setting the db user roles, and modifying the Web.config file I asked tech support a question about what access rights to have on the various folders that Umbraco needs to write to (e.g., bin, css). They said I should give read/write access to the Network Service user and the site user (these are the only two choices available in their control panel).

Unfortunately, the tech support guy decided to be really, really helpful and went ahead and did the install of Umbraco...including adding Runway, which I didn't want to have included. But the important point was that Umbraco was installed correctly, and was running.

The only way I could see to undo what he'd done was to basically rip everything out and start over. So I deleted all the files, re-uploaded them (and set permissions, etc), deleted the database and the db user and then re-created them.

That still didn't work -- I was getting the required permissions error shown below -- but tech support fixed that by running Umbraco under Full Trust.

Unfortunately, while the installation process >>seemed<< to be going okay, when it came time to install the database (step 2/5), the install blew up complaining about upgrading from this version is not supported (see below).

Thinking maybe the Web.config file got munged somehow I re-uploaded it, set its access permission, but then ended up with the blasted "can't get required permissions" error. Tech support says thats because re-uploading the Web.config file messed up the granting of Full Trust, but they've re-applied it again.

But now I'm getting the same darn "upgrade not allowed" error on step 2/5.

It sure looks like wiping out all the files and the database and re-uploading/re-creating stuff didn't work the way I hoped. Does the Umbraco install routine leave some hidden file around someplace that I didn't delete? Can someone please explain to me how I fix this?

- Mark

Upgrading from this version is not supported.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NotSupportedException: Upgrading from this version is not supported.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NotSupportedException: Upgrading from this version is not supported.]
    umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelpers.SqlServer.SqlServerInstaller.Install() +182
    umbraco.presentation.install.steps.detect.install_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +22
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e) +111
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +110
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +10
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
    System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +36
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +1565
    Oct 13, 2009 @ 06:27
    Mark Olbert

Okay, tech support found a solution...but I'm very confused as to why it solved the problem.

At their suggestion, I created an entirely new, blank database for Umbraco. That allowed the installation to proceed normally.

But why didn't the delete database/create new database step amount to the same thing?

Oct 13, 2009 @ 07:44
    Mark Olbert

More information from softsyshosting tech support: apparently, a SqlServer database can remain in cache even after it's been deleted. If true, that would certainly explain what happened. On the other hand, it's an odd cache that doesn't invalidate an item once its been deleted from disk :).

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft