Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• skiltz 501 posts 701 karma points
    Oct 13, 2009 @ 09:13
    skiltz

Installing Umbraco on Plesk + Site Preview

With plesk you can preview a site using the "site preview" button.

When you click this button you get a url like http://xxx.xx.xx.xx/$sitepreview/mydomain.com/default.aspx 

I'm pretty sure the $ in the url is causing Umbraco grief and I can't get to the install page or default page.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  Obivously the simple soution is to get a "real domain" pointed but this isn't an option at the moment.

Oct 13, 2009 @ 09:14
    skiltz

Hmmm that url didn't turn out.  Hover you mouse over it to see the Url I am referring to.

• jonok 297 posts 657 karma points
    Oct 13, 2009 @ 10:03
    jonok

I've never tried that before, but when I set up temporary or dev sites I usually ask my hosting provider to set up a temporary url for me using a domain alias. Eg. if my hosting company has the domain 'www.hostingcompany.com', then they usually set up something like 'tempname.hostingcompany.com'. 

• Stephan Lonntorp 195 posts 212 karma points
    Oct 13, 2009 @ 10:50
    Stephan Lonntorp

I've use Plesk on several occasions, and, yes the $ in the url has a tendency to mess things up. I use jonok's approach of using an alternate domain as well. In Plesk it's done by adding a "Domain Alias", I usually go with sitename.demo.mydomain.com, that way I also have an understandable URL that my client can use to see what they're getting before we go live.

• Dan 1285 posts 3917 karma points c-trib
    Oct 13, 2009 @ 11:20
    Dan

I had the exact same issue.  I had to use a temporary domain which was live, as the Plesk preview just would not work.

Oct 13, 2009 @ 11:29
    skiltz

Okay figured it out.  In Plesk you can create "Domain Aliases (there's a button)". Created a random subdomain on one of my other domains udpated the DNS and "Bobs Ya Uncle"!  Thanks for all the replies.

Oct 13, 2009 @ 11:39
    skiltz

ohh Stephen had the right answer.....pity I didn't see it earlier! You get karma :)

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Oct 13, 2009 @ 18:44
    Morten Bock

Just on a side note, you may not need to change your dns. Just change your local hosts file on your own machine to point to the IP of your server. That way you are sure that your dev.example.com domain isn't indexed by accident or similar.

• Nick Warner 5 posts 25 karma points
    Feb 29, 2012 @ 13:14
    Nick Warner

Hi, I know this topic is a bit old now, but has anyone got a more step-by-step guide on how to achieve this? I'm struggling!!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft