Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Wade 11 posts 31 karma points
    Nov 22, 2013 @ 19:37
    Wade

404 error trying to view .html pages without page name - umbraco 6

We have a folder not in the Umbraco database, just some folders with a bunch of .html files.

On earlier versions of Umbraco 4.0, this works fine.

If you want to see a file like /cp/index.html, you would only have to type in /cp/ and you would see the file, for the server would automatically show the index.html file. Since we upgraded our sites, that don't work anymore.

What has changed in Umbraco to not allow this anymore?  Is there a workaround?  Should I upgrade to version 7?  ... We can't launch our new Upgraded site until this issue is fixed. (Umbraco 6.1.1). Please help, any help would be very appreciated.

• Morten Bock 1867 posts 2140 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Nov 23, 2013 @ 10:28
    Morten Bock

I think there are two possible issues. Either the IIS is not set up to use index.html as the default document, or the /cp/ path is not configured for umbraco to ignore.

Make sure that the path is ignored by umbraco:

<add key="umbracoReservedPaths" value="~/umbraco,~/install/" />

Then make sure that your iis site has index.html as a Default Document in the site settings.

Are you seeing the IIS 404 or umbracos 404 page?

• Wade 11 posts 31 karma points
    Nov 25, 2013 @ 13:06
    Wade

Hi, and thank you for your response.

Yes, we never had the path excluded into the web.config.  Adding /help/ made all the pages appear again.

However, one last issue we are having, that is we used to have files that were downloadable only through IIS security.  Now, that doesn't work anymore.  Is there a way to get this working the way it was before, or do we have to now use Umbraco's security for downloading secure files only accessible to members? If so, do you know of how to get this setup. (link to tut or how to would be fine)

Thank you.

• Mark Ramos 4 posts 85 karma points
    Oct 20, 2022 @ 15:47
    Mark Ramos

Hi there - reviving this thread as I've got a similar problem. I've got Umbraco version 10, with /myPage/ in the wwwroot folder. Inside of /myPage/ is index.html. If I navigate to /myPage/index.html, the page displays just fine. If I navigate to /myPage/, I get an Umbraco 404 page. Looks like Reserved Paths are now configured in appsettings.json, but I'm unable to get this to load correctly regardless of what I put there. The hope is that I'll be able to add hundreds of static HTML folders to wwwroot and be able to load them up without requiring index.html be present in the URL.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft