Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Meni 271 posts 507 karma points
    Nov 24, 2013 @ 16:37
    Meni

Can't install Umbraco 7 .. (It's mean - can't upgrade to..)

After copying the files (bin / Install / Umbraco / Umbraco Client) it give me error when try to update. Tried already twice and every time I had to downgrade again to 6.1.6 ....

Could U pls fix this bug ... ?

Thx.

• andy_rose 91 posts 117 karma points
    Nov 25, 2013 @ 10:27
    andy_rose

Hi Meni, we really need a bit more detail before anyone can help. What is the error that you are getting? Have you checked the App_Data/Log/UmbracoTraceLog.txt file to see what errors are being reported?

Nov 26, 2013 @ 05:08
    Meni

Hi, 

Here's the error message I get:

"

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

"

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Umbraco.Core.Sync.ConfigServerRegistrar..ctor() +15
       Umbraco.Core.CoreBootManager.InitializeResolvers() +641
       Umbraco.Web.WebBootManager.InitializeResolvers() +18
       Umbraco.Core.CoreBootManager.Initialize() +267
       Umbraco.Web.WebBootManager.Initialize() +18
       Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase.StartApplication(Object sender, EventArgs e) +90
       Umbraco.Core.UmbracoApplicationBase.Application_Start(Object sender, EventArgs e) +9

[HttpException (0x80004005): Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.EnsureAppStartCalledForIntegratedMode(HttpContext context, HttpApplication app) +9860497
       System.Web.HttpApplication.RegisterEventSubscriptionsWithIIS(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context, MethodInfo[] handlers) +118
       System.Web.HttpApplication.InitSpecial(HttpApplicationState state, MethodInfo[] handlers, IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +172
       System.Web.HttpApplicationFactory.GetSpecialApplicationInstance(IntPtr appContext, HttpContext context) +336
       System.Web.Hosting.PipelineRuntime.InitializeApplication(IntPtr appContext) +296

[HttpException (0x80004005): Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +9874840
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +101
       System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +254
  • Sunshine Lewis 31 posts 140 karma points c-trib
    Nov 26, 2013 @ 20:08
    Sunshine Lewis

Hi Meni,

I don't know if this is the exact problem you are having but I was also getting all sorts of error messages on upgrade. Try deleting (or archiving) the existing folders (especially bin) before you copy in the new ones. 

That (and replacing my config/ClientDependency.config) got me to the install page.

Nov 27, 2013 @ 00:16
    Meni

Hi Sunshine, 

Thx, but - I'm like, rewriting the folder anyway when I'm copy it to the server - so I think it's the same.. - like, anyway I'm copy the new bin folder. So don't think it will make a change if I'll delete before ...

Dec 04, 2013 @ 19:38
    Meni

Anybody ... ?

Did anyone else faced this issue with U7?

• Paul Sørensen 304 posts 650 karma points
    Dec 22, 2013 @ 10:28
    Paul Sørensen

Hi Got the same error. On my second attempt I cleared my bin folder so I only had the 7.0.1 files when I launched the appl.

/Paul S

Dec 22, 2013 @ 10:29
    Paul Sørensen
    • and I was upgrading from 6.1.6 /Paul S
    Dec 24, 2013 @ 18:21
    Meni

Hi Paul, Thanks. But like I wrote before, by rewriting the bin folder It's technically delete the whole previous bin folder and put the new files... Any other idea how to install the new 7.0.1 ... ?

Dec 28, 2013 @ 11:46
    Paul Sørensen

Hi Meni

I turned out that I was missing some updates in the web.config, 

But then I got a new problem discussed in another thread - due to caching of queries I had a an error after the DB was updated. I don't know how far you got, but I manually changed the verision to 7.0.1 and then I was able to start - the queries got reloaded.

/Paul S

Dec 30, 2013 @ 19:15
    Meni

Ok Thx. But how do I do it?

Dec 30, 2013 @ 20:06
    Paul Sørensen

Hi

This only works if your upgrade comes as far as completing the DB update. After taht you manually change the version to 7.0.1

<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="6.1.6" />

becomes

<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="7.0.1" />

in the web.config

/Paul S

Dec 30, 2013 @ 20:27
    Meni

What's the meaning "upgrade comes as far as completing the DB update" ? Like, I just copying the folders - like the instructions on the Umbraco website ant that's it. don't even touch the DB.

Dec 31, 2013 @ 11:51
    Paul Sørensen

Hi

Once youi have copied the folders you launch your website and it will start the upgrade and take you through the steps - the final step is the DB update,

Is that not the way it works for you?

/PaulS

Dec 31, 2013 @ 21:48
    Meni

Well, that's exactly my problem: after copy the folders and trying to launch the website I get the error... - it's doesn't take me to the upgrade page ...

Jan 01, 2014 @ 11:13
    Paul Sørensen

Hi

Ok - then my solution doesn't work

/Paul S

Jan 01, 2014 @ 11:16
    Paul Sørensen

Hi

What do you see in the log file - in app_data\log ?

/Paul S

Jan 12, 2014 @ 06:51
    Meni

Finally!! Success !!

It's was hard ...

I copied also to Config folder , as well as changed the config file. however, had lot of issues with the MVC versions (3 & 4) - anyway, I think the Umbraco team should have make the process more automate as well as post more detail upgrade guide with common errors cases. 

honestly, I think I prefer the old version ... (6.1.6 ..) 

Jan 12, 2014 @ 06:59
    Meni

But just realized that I have now another (annoying..) issue..

All my Like disappears from my news items. Try to figure out why - I see that now all my pages appear with out the .aspx, mean just the address - maybe this the reason?

For example - just copied a link from my site: opli.net/opli_magazine/astronomy/2013/tiny-but-ultra-bright-quartet-of-ancient-galaxies-takes-astronomers-by-surprise-jan/

before the upgrade it was: opli.net/opli_magazine/astronomy/2013/tiny-but-ultra-bright-quartet-of-ancient-galaxies-takes-astronomers-by-surprise-jan.aspx/

• Shannon Deminick 1526 posts 5272 karma points MVP 3x
    Jan 19, 2014 @ 05:02
    Shannon Deminick

Hi everyone,

I'll be updating the v6 - v7 upgrade notes to have some more specific steps.

This problem is purely related to configuration changes that need to be made, I'll update the docs to be more specific.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft