Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Richard Terris 273 posts 715 karma points
    Dec 03, 2013 @ 15:19
    Richard Terris

umbraco.config out of sync when deploying

Not sure if this is the correct place but it seemed to be - I noticed something which I haven't seen before and I wondered if it's normal and if other people experienced it.

I had a dev version of a site on a server and on Friday afternoon we got signoff from various stakeholders that it was complete as far as "phase 1" is concerned so I backed up the database and site, zipped them up in a .rar and moved to the load balanced server.

Once it was up and running on the other server I did various testing, but fairly minimal testing as far as content is concerned and in actual fact I wouldn't even know what the content should be. But I tested a few content changes and they were being served on both servers via the load balancer so all good.

Just now a front end developer approached me about copy which was wrong compared to what was created on Friday. We logged into Umbraco and the content was correct in the UI so I republished the site to update the cache and everything now looks correct.

This is the first time I've had to do this as normally when you move a site like this the umbraco.config file file is up to date. Is this normal? What could have caused the out of sync? Does this relate to the load balancer in any way?

This is the first time I've had Umbraco in a load balanced environment so natually I want to ensure everything is correct.

• Kevin Jump 2327 posts 14813 karma points MVP 8x c-trib
    Dec 05, 2013 @ 12:20
    Kevin Jump

Hi it's probibly to do with the load balancing , 

there are a number of files you don't replicate between server (like umbraco.config) and quite a few you do (like media) 

one key thing is making sure the distribured server settings are set up in /config/umbracosettings.config 

very good walk through in the documentation http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/load-balancing

• Richard Terris 273 posts 715 karma points
    Dec 05, 2013 @ 12:24
    Richard Terris

Thanks for the reply Kevin.

Haven't seen any other issues and I'm confident that the correct files and folders are excluded; I've tested making changes to umbraco.config on 1 server aren't being copied over to second server.

I can't be 100% certain but I think since it was only a few content items, there's a chance the content was saved but not published but I'll continue monitoring it.

Thanks again for your response.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft