Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anders Burla 2560 posts 8256 karma points
    Oct 15, 2009 @ 15:08
    Anders Burla

Only have 1 install of umbraco v4 on server

Hi all,

Is it possible with umbraco v4 to have only 1 install of it on webserver and then run multiple sites on same code base? Or is it first in 4.1 it will be possible?

Because its taking some time to update all our umbraco customers :)

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Oct 15, 2009 @ 15:32
    dandrayne

Yep, you can run multiple sites from one install.  You'd just need to be careful with e.g. giving access to the media library, macro insertsion etc.

More here -> http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/how-tos/running-multiple-websites-on-one-umbraco-installation

Dan

• Dirk De Grave 4541 posts 6021 karma points MVP 3x admin c-trib
    Oct 15, 2009 @ 16:24
    Dirk De Grave

If your clients are unrelated, I'd recommend against your method of having a single install. As a rule of thumb, I use a single installation for a single client (no matter how many sites each client has individually)

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

/Dirk

Oct 15, 2009 @ 20:03
    Anders Burla

Thanks for your reply.

Dirk - Why have a single install for every client? The update process is much bigger. The macro, media and the other client specific folders can be mounted as virtual folders?

Just to understand your point of view.

• Billy Koch 77 posts 31 karma points
    Oct 15, 2009 @ 20:36
    Billy Koch

I would have to agree with Dirk - because if umbraco goes down for one site it would go down for all the sites.  This way if you seperate them if one goes down for some reason then it won't affect the other sites at all.  Key thing is the quality of deliverance.  Granted it is easier to have one umbraco install and host multiple sites - but one can end up paying the price for many if something goes wrong with one and it affects the other sites.  I install multiple umbraco sites for diff sites. 

Oct 15, 2009 @ 21:36
    Anders Burla

Just to be clear. What i want is not to have 1 master umbraco website running all my sites.  What i want is to have a DB for every customer website, a folder pr site on the webserver with the media folder, masterpages, css etc. And then the umbraco folder to be as a virtual folder. So when upgrading from v4 code to v4.1 i would only need to update 1 umbraco folder on the webserver and all websites will use that umbraco code.

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Oct 15, 2009 @ 22:53
    Rich Green

I don't think that's going to work Anders.

How many sites are will you be running? The upgrade process to 4.1 will be fairly painless I imagine.

If you had 100's of sites I'm sure scripting the upgrade process would be an easier way of doing it.

Rich

Oct 15, 2009 @ 23:01
    Anders Burla

At the moment not 100 sites. But still i would be much easier to just upgrade 1 folder and then go to all sites and upgrade in the admin ( for DB changes etc ). Non from the Core team or an MVP than know if this is possible or will be in the future?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft