Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark Olbert 87 posts 117 karma points
    Oct 15, 2009 @ 23:06
    Mark Olbert

File or Directory not found when trying to launch Umbraco user interface

I successfully installed Umbraco on Server 2008, but I'm unable to get into the UI.

If I surf to xyz.myhost.com (where xyz is the name of the site and myhost.com is my Server 2008 box) I the following 404 error:

Server Error

404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Interestingly, if I surf to xyz.myhost.com/umbraco/umbraco.aspx I >>do<< get into the UI...but I never have to log in. Which is convenient, but makes me wonder about site security :).

How do I resolve this?

- Mark

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Oct 15, 2009 @ 23:37
    Rich Green

Something's obviously wrong.

Check that you didn't install Umbraco into a virtual directory (this is not currently supported)

Otherwise, I'm sure someone else will be able to help.

Rich

Oct 15, 2009 @ 23:43
    Mark Olbert

I'm 99% sure I didn't install it into a virtual directory. I used the Web Application Installer approach, and told it to create a brand new website.

- Mark

• Rich Green 2246 posts 4008 karma points
    Oct 16, 2009 @ 00:05
    Rich Green

Hmm, I only tried the Web Application Installer once and it wasn't too successful.

You could always download and install in manually, lots of info here http://our.umbraco.org/wiki/install-and-setup 

Oct 16, 2009 @ 00:44
    Mark Olbert

I was able to get things to work by setting the ApplicationPool to run in "Classic" mode, rather than "Integrated" mode.

But I don't know enough about IIS to understand why I had to do that. It looks like, from an error message I got, that Integrated mode requires part of Umbraco's Web.config file to be moved into the machine config file.

- Mark

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft