Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Nabeel 4 posts 34 karma points
    Dec 23, 2013 @ 05:59
    Nabeel

How to add DLL files of another website to current website

I want to know whether we can add dll files of another Umbraco website to our website, its because our client gave us the .DLL files of their Umbraco website (e.g. busnesslogic.dll, cms.dll, umbraco.dll) to us and we are supposed to modify their website.

I tried setting up a blank umbraco (version 4.11.10 and also latest version 7.0.1) site with mysql database setuped, and added their dll files to my current site's bin folder (that replaced the existing dll files), when i run it it throws exception "Object reference not set to an instance of an object.". i tried to open the site builder yet same error. im using Webmatrix to run my website (also used visual studio but did not succeeded). I also setup Umbraco in Visual studio 2012 and when i tried adding a reference of dll files, it says the Dll files already exists in project.

I know this sounds noobish coz im new to Umbraco, but i searched a lot on this subject and couldnt find an answer, is it possible to open their website with dlls files they have provided, if yes then please tell me how. Thanks in Advance.

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 5x admin c-trib
    Dec 23, 2013 @ 12:41
    Jeroen Breuer

Umbraco is more than just the dll files. If you need to modify the website of the client they need to send the complete website. 

Jeroen

Dec 23, 2013 @ 14:36
    Nabeel

Thanks for the reply Jeroen,

Thats what first came into my mind, but our team leader says they have only sent the DLLs, so if we need to access the whole website, what are the things (files and packages) that need to be sent from the client side so that we can access their website? 

Dec 23, 2013 @ 14:40
    Jeroen Breuer

You can download a clean Umbraco install here: http://our.umbraco.org/contribute/releases/616

All the files that are in the zip should also be what you get from your customer + all the customized files of course.

Jeroen

Dec 24, 2013 @ 05:49
    Nabeel

Hi Jeroen

I tried with a clean umbraco install, and once the installation finishes, I added the dll files to my bin folder, these are the files given by the client.

- businesslogic.dll, cms.dll, log4net.dll, Microsoft.Application.Blocks.data.dll, Umbraco.Core.dll, umbraco.DataLayer.dll and umbraco.dll.

I thought that after doing that the client's website will be loaded in my blank website ( just like we install a package in blank website and then all the templates and document types of the package are added to website) ,but after adding the dll files if i try to open the sitebuilder it throws error.

I've completely no idea what to do with these files, should I just replace them with my existing files in bin folder. or is there any other way to open their website in my blank umbraco installation.

thanks.

Dec 24, 2013 @ 12:41
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

Umbraco also has a database where most of the content is stored. With just the dll files you can't do anything. What you need from your client is:

- The complete Umbraco website
    - An extension project if it's used
    - The database with all the content

Otherwise you can't recreate the website.

Jeroen 

Dec 24, 2013 @ 13:47
    Nabeel

Thanks a lot Jeroen, the above answers all my questions, till our company gets the complete stuff from our clients i have plenty of time to learn more about Umbraco :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft