Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Hammer 41 posts 67 karma points
    Jan 08, 2014 @ 10:05
    David Hammer

Getting my umbraco project up on a new site

Hi there..

Read this, as if I am a complete beginner, because I am. Some of it might sound like I know what I'm talking about, but really I don't. I might explain some of it in too much detail, where you'll think, "Why do I need to know this?", but as I see it, to give a complete overview of my problem is the only way to go, both for my own sake, but also for you to understand my current problem/dilemma better.

My problem is as follows:

The beginning: I got a new job, developing an umbraco web project for a company. The project is a magazine website, where different old articles and magazines can be imported. I got an incomplete website from the employee before me, and had to finish it.

It had most of the functionaly, but lacked some major parts and the total design.

I had a month with the old employee, for him to hand the project over in a safe and correct way, and it all went rather smoothly.

Now I'm stuck at a critical place in the development, that I see no way to finish it, and it all comes down to two things:

The project is created as a Visual Studio 2012 project with a "local" database, without any connection strings.. I mean to say that I don't remember what kind of database I use. (this might sound noobish, because I am a noob, and have obviously made a lot actions without knowing what would or could happen).

Then theres the part about having to "publish/install" the project on a webserver (if that is even what it's called).. What I mean is that I have this project with some sort of local database attached to it. I have to get that project up (via ftp or something else) on a domain so that the organization can test it with me.

My question is: How do I get my umbraco project attached/connected to external MySQL database, and how do i get to install it on a webserver?

Any information will help! guides, guidance, answers, recommendatioins whatever you have to throw my way! Thank you in advance

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft