Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Andy 9 posts 29 karma points
    Jan 08, 2014 @ 12:09
    Andy

Upgrading from 6.1.3 to 6.1.6 (Admin password no longer works)

Hi,

Hopefully the title is self explanatory!  I performed the upgrade successfully but now when I go to the backend and use my usual username and password all I see is the login page refresh. If I put wrong details in, I can see the fields turn red so I know it is authenticating my password correctly.  Why woul this occur?

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Jan 10, 2014 @ 16:58
    Dan Lister

Hi Andy,

Have you visited the home page of your site? Does a page render? Sometimes even when the login fields turn red, a connection to your database could not be established. I'd double check your connection string in web.config/connectionStrings is correct.

Dan.

Jan 10, 2014 @ 17:20
    Andy

Hi,

Yes the rest of the site is absolutely fine so I don't think there is any problem with the database.  All I can think of is that it is an issue with cookies but I don't really no where to start looking

Jan 13, 2014 @ 14:54
    Dan Lister

Hmmm... have you tried using a different browser or a private browsing mode?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 13, 2014 @ 15:53
    Sebastiaan Janssen

The rest of the site runs off your cache, and the symptoms you describe are almost always related to database connectivity.

Make sure to check App_Data/Logs/UmbracoLog.txt as well for errors.

Jan 13, 2014 @ 16:01
    Andy

There is nothing in App_Data/Logs.  I've created a Logs folder but no files are created.  Is there something I need to do to enable logging?

Using a different browser/private browsing doesn't work and I've checked the connection string multiple times and I can't see anything wrong with it.

Jan 13, 2014 @ 16:04
    Dan Lister

Try removing your /App_Data/umbraco.config file to see if the site still runs? If the connection string is correct, as Sebastiaan mentioned, your site's cache should be regenerated.

Also, its a bit of a long shot but have you enabled TCP/IP access for your SQL Server instance?

Jan 13, 2014 @ 16:09
    Andy

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions so far.  I don't have an umbraco.config file, just an umbracoSettings.config.  Note this is a site I inherited which I have upgraded in the ast from V5 without problems which is why I am stumped why a minor upgrade should cause any problems.

Jan 13, 2014 @ 16:16
    Dan Lister

Where are you editing your connection string? web.config/configuration/connectionStrings/add[name=umbracoDbDSN]?

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Jan 13, 2014 @ 17:06
    Sebastiaan Janssen

I would suggest you check permissions then, if there's no umbraco.config and no log files then that would suggest that they can't be written to disk. Also check your windows event log for errors.

Feb 21, 2014 @ 10:09
    Andy

Ok, I have enabled the logs now and I can see the following when I try to log in to the backend:

2014-02-21 09:08:37,631 [22] INFO  umbraco.BasePages.BasePage - [Thread 44] User Administrator (Id: 0) logged in

However, I'm still stuck on the Umbraco login screen

Feb 21, 2014 @ 10:21
    Andy

And there is nothing in the event log

Database connection string is

<add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="server=localhost;database=<db>;user id=<id>;password=<password>" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

which was working fine before upgrade

Feb 21, 2014 @ 10:22
    Andy

And I know this is working because if I disable the SQL account, the site stops working

(Sorry for the spam)

Feb 21, 2014 @ 14:04
    Andy

Fixed my problem.  The cookie was being set for the wrong domain.  Strange how it only surfaced on an upgrade

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft