Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Pete 152 posts 176 karma points
    Oct 19, 2009 @ 15:07
    Pete

Site and CMS both very slow - suggestions please

Hello,

I have a content-driven site running umbraco v 4.0.1 (Assembly version: 1.0.3373.718).To load a page with a fair bit of varied content on it takes around 10 or so seconds.

Publishing a 'News Article,' which has standard news item properties: tags, body/title/teaser content, etc, takes 20+ seconds and a slightly more complex article takes 30+ seconds. 

I have inherited this project so I am not familiar with how to set up an umbraco project, nor which settings to look at and tweak to improve the performance. I would appreciate any help in simple terms with checking configuration items or help with identifying what is slowing the system down. Cheers.

• Billy Koch 77 posts 31 karma points
    Oct 20, 2009 @ 06:32
    Billy Koch

What is the current set up of the machine - are you running it locally or on a Server running IIS6 or IIS7?  Memory?    This would help us be able to figure out your performance issues.

• Rasmus Berntsen 215 posts 253 karma points c-trib
    Oct 20, 2009 @ 09:32
    Rasmus Berntsen

Double check your permission settings:

http://umbraco.org/documentation/books/install-umbraco-30-on-windows-vista/configure-iis-for-umbraco

If it's possible to publish it might not be related to permission settings... How many nodes does the site have?

• Tom Maton 387 posts 660 karma points
    Oct 20, 2009 @ 09:54
    Tom Maton

Do you have any custom Data Types which could be causing slowness?

Does the database need to be re-indexed?

Oct 20, 2009 @ 10:26
    Pete

The site runs slow on every box it's been on (various developer's machines and a web server) - my dev machine is a Core 2 Duo 2.66, 4GB of RAM & IIS7. The server the site is running on has 2GB RAM, a 3ghz processor and IIS6.

SQL Server uses around 900MB on the server and doesn't seem to be hogging resources. 

Data Types - we use quite a few. On the surface they all appear to be simple ntext dropdowns or ultimate pickers. Could the ultimate pickers be causing slow-down and if so, what is the alternative? Is there any particular set-up of a data type I should look out for?

Permissions are all OK. 

How do I re-index the database? I don't think it's been done for a long time, right through the part of the dev process I've been involved in.

Is there an easy way to get a node count? The xml data file is 5,482 KB.

• Sjors Pals 617 posts 270 karma points
    Oct 20, 2009 @ 11:04
    Sjors Pals

Maybe check your database using the sql profiler and see what queries take long to run

Oct 20, 2009 @ 11:18
    Pete

None of the queries appear to take any time at all. Start to finish for a page load is about 15 milliseconds in SQL Server Profiler.

• Len Dierickx 150 posts 92 karma points
    Oct 20, 2009 @ 11:27
    Len Dierickx

Do you have a proxy server to access internet?

We had several performance problems when a proxy was required to access internet resources and no proxy was set in the web.config file.
    If no proxy is set the default behavior is that ASP.net takes the proxy from the administrator account.

If no proxy is set on that account, Umbraco will never be able to reach the websites (even if it is running on the same machine ...) and it will time out any webservice request causing any installation to go very slow, especially publishing. 

After setting the proxy everything returned to normal.

You could add these lines to your web.config file:

<system.net>
            <defaultProxy>
                <proxy usesystemdefault="false" proxyaddress="http://localhost:80" bypassonlocal="false"/>
            </defaultProxy>
        </system.net>

• Mikael Mørup 297 posts 326 karma points
    Oct 20, 2009 @ 11:33
    Mikael Mørup

try to load one of the slow pages in a browser with trace on like

www.mysite.com/mypage.aspx?umbdebugshowtrace=true

In the trace you can see what is going on when and how long time it takes, this should help you to pinpoint what exactly it is that is taking so long.

You might have to enable the trace in web.config if it has been disabled.

Mikael

Oct 20, 2009 @ 11:53
    Pete

I've added the proxy entry - cheers. 

Thanks Mikael - I can't believe I forgot this was available!

Trace for one of the slowest pages is below (it does have a lot going on...)

If I am reading the output correctly, this is what is taking the bulk of the time: 

aspx.page End Load 7.59640401224178 6.674940

Again, I'm not certain I'm reading it correctly but I think everything else takes less than milliseconds to perform. Am I looking for the correct item or should I be looking for something further? I tried to post a large section of the output but the form wouldn't let me.

• Mikael Mørup 297 posts 326 karma points
    Oct 20, 2009 @ 12:30
    Mikael Mørup

So it looks like your page is using 6.67 seconds between "aspx.page begin load" and "aspx.page end load".

I have a fairly complex page with serveral usercontrols and some javascript. It uses less than 0.6 seconds between "aspx.page begin load" and "aspx.page end load".

Maybe some the asp.net sharks in here have something clever to say about whats going on between thos two events ??

Mikael

• Sjors Pals 617 posts 270 karma points
    Oct 20, 2009 @ 12:56
    Sjors Pals

Can you just create an empty template in Umbraco with a hello world, and see how long it takes to render?

Oct 20, 2009 @ 13:42
    Pete

A Hello World test page is very swift:

aspx.page End Render 0.00163826687470056 0.000248

• Niels Hartvig 1951 posts 2391 karma points c-trib
    Oct 20, 2009 @ 14:07
    Niels Hartvig

Peter,

In the trace on the pages that takes ages you should go through the records step by step and see the difference between the previous item in the trace. I bet that you got one or more macros that runs very slow. That's where the problem lies.

Hope this helps!

Oct 21, 2009 @ 12:00
    Pete

OK guys - thank you all for your help. I have managed to pinpoint the worst controls and improve them. The front-end now runs much faster!

I do still have issues with the CMS itself running very slowly at times. I believe this is worst when our client has 3 of its editorial staff all trying to publish items in quick succession. Is there anything that can be done to improve this? I assume the XML document is locked while a publish is being performed, but this means that users must wait 40-60 seconds at times to see their article published, which is far too long.

Any tips?

Oct 21, 2009 @ 14:56
    Pete

Should CPU usage be hitting 96-99% all the time?

http://img14.imageshack.us/i/cpuusagey.jpg/

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft