Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mat GUthrie 5 posts 25 karma points
    Jan 22, 2014 @ 08:15
    Mat GUthrie

Is Umbraco 4.0.2.1 compatible with Win8.1 and IIS 8?

Hi,

I'm taking over the management of an Umbraco 4.0.2 site and am trying to set up a local version running under Windows 8.1 and IIS 8. Are they compaitible? I'm having difficulties getting it up an running. 

I'm trying to get it running under an application pool using Integrated pipepline

Thanks

Mat

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Jan 22, 2014 @ 09:08
    Stefan Kip

Should work just fine. It would be better if you had included the problems you're facing here...

Jan 22, 2014 @ 11:18
    Mat GUthrie

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear it's compatible and I've not been completely wasting my time. Below are some of details of the issues I'm running in to.

Ok, first I set up the site as a virtual directory under Default Web Site which I converted to an Application as per instructions here: http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/installation/install-umbraco-manually

I'm running it under a new App Pool using .NET v2.0 and Network Service identity. 

If I attempt to use integrated pipeline I got the following error sayiong my config is not compatible. After I run the recommended command to migrate the config (cmd: %SystemRoot%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd migrate config "Default Web Site/") I get that old favourite "Object reference not set to an instance of an object".

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at umbraco.UmbracoDefault.Page_PreInit(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.OnPreInit(EventArgs e)
       at System.Web.UI.Page.PerformPreInit()
       at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

If I configure the app pool for Classic pipeline I'm getting redirected to: http://localhost/install/default.aspx?redir=true&url=/umbracodev/default.aspx where 'UmbracoDev' is the name of the web app.

As mentioned above, ideally I'd like to get the site using integrated pipeline because that mirrors production, but any help to get it running would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Mat

Jan 22, 2014 @ 11:20
    Stefan Kip

Why don't you just create a new webapplication in IIS with it's own application pool (Integrated pipeline)? I have been running umbraco 4.0.X fine with this config.

Jan 22, 2014 @ 11:25
    Mat GUthrie

I believe that's what I have done: I created a new Web Application under the Default Web Site with it's own 'new' application pool configured using v2.0 .NET and Network Service Identity. I've tried configuring it to use both Intergrated and Classic pipeline with the results details above.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Mat

Jan 22, 2014 @ 11:26
    Stefan Kip

Well I've never created an application under the Default Web Site. Try creating the application at the root of IIS?

Jan 22, 2014 @ 11:27
    Mat GUthrie

Will do. I'll let you know how I get on

Jan 22, 2014 @ 11:39
    Mat GUthrie

Ok, for anyone who may be interested, as unlikely as that may be, here's what worked.

I followed the instructions at the following address, creating a website (not virtual directory) and adding a host name to the hosts file. http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/installation/install-umbraco-manually

Configuring the newly created app pool to use the integrated pipeline generated an error saying my config is not compatible with integrated pipeline. After I ran the recommended command to migrate the config (cmd: %SystemRoot%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd migrate config "MyUmbracoWebsiteName/")  the site launched ok.

Thanks for your assistance.

Mat

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft