Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tim 6 posts 46 karma points
    Jan 28, 2014 @ 10:04
    Tim

Problems changing back office url v6.1.6

Hi,

I am trying to change the url used to access the ~/umbraco/ back office but just get errors instead.

From what i have read online all i need to do is change the umbracoPath value in the webconfig and update umbracoReservedPaths value.

When I try this I either get a 404 or

"Directory '[New umbraco Path]\config\lang' does not exist. Failed to start monitoring file"

Am I missing another config setting?

Cheers, Tim.

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jan 28, 2014 @ 10:09
    Ismail Mayat

Tim, I take it you are trying to obfuscate the backend url to prevent un authorised access? A better option would be to in iis restrict allowed ips to the umbraco directory.

Regards

Ismail

Jan 28, 2014 @ 10:50
    Tim

Hi Ismail,

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, our aim is to secure the back office as much as possible. We already have an SSL cert set up for the back office but I also wanted to add extra protection.

IP restriction is something I had not considered. Are there any other best practices for securing umbraco?

Thanks, Tim.

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10091 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Jan 28, 2014 @ 10:56
    Ismail Mayat

Tim.,

There is one more way but you would need to purchase courier. So you would have your editor instance of umbraco behind your fire wall and a live instance of the site outside your firewall. Joe public hits the site outside your firewall, this site has umbraco directory but everything save a couple of files are removed (cant remember exact list think webservices etc) basically you cannot log into the live site to edit content.

On the editor instance you make your content changes then courier those to live.

Here at Stein IAS we make use of ip restrictions so only people on our vpn can hit the backend.

Regards

Ismail

Jan 28, 2014 @ 15:25
    Tim

Hi Ismail,

Yes we are planning on using courier for our content replication. I will look into setting up our live environment to act like your suggestion.

Thanks,

Tim.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft