Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Matthew 138 posts 201 karma points
    Feb 10, 2014 @ 00:43
    Matthew

Deploy Umbraco 7 to Azure from VS 2013

When I create a new asp.net empty web application project in VS 2013, install Umbraco 7.0.3 w/PM and configure it to use an Azure database, it skips the 'create user' section but it works fine.

In VS, I publish it to a new Azure website and tell it to use the existing db server, validate tne connction, in settings there's no file publish options checked, verify the DSN, check to use this connection string and update the database, it says it completes successfully but when it opens the site in a browser, I get the error:

Server Error in '/' Application.

If I set the customErros mode to Off, I get:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
       Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule.BeginRequest(HttpContextBase httpContext) +16
       Umbraco.Web.UmbracoModule.<Init>b__8(Object sender, EventArgs e) +253
       System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +136
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +69

I've been banging away at this for a couple days, anyone got a pointer?  I'm just an implementer kinda guy so pretty clueless about the errors.

I also tried doing it via WebMatrix local install and publish to Azure with the same results.

In the past, with Umbraco 4.x, I've just installed locally and then with WebMatrix on the host and it's worked.

I went through a tut on installing v.6.x on Azure but that was with cloud services and it seems, from darren ferguson's video on Azure that websites are the way to go now.  This isn't for a huge site so it seemed like an Azure website would be fine.  If v.7 was in the app gallery, I'd be clam happy.

Help?

Thanksmuch.

Feb 10, 2014 @ 17:35
    Matthew

Sebastiaan kindly answered this question on stackoverflow, I had not included global.asax.  In the interim, I had found that a new publish effort from WebMatrix did work and on checking, it did include the global.asax file.  So far, I haven't found any reasons why it isn't included by default in a VS publish.

If you read this, Sebastiaan, I would gladly apply credit for your answer if you respond.

• David 29 posts 110 karma points
    Apr 30, 2014 @ 17:18
    David

Hi, can you provide a link to the StackOverflow thread?

Thanks.

May 02, 2014 @ 19:25
    Matthew

Here it is

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft