Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Dustin 4 posts 24 karma points
    Feb 17, 2014 @ 19:49
    Dustin

New AWS EC2 instance broke my umbraco login

Hi there,

I recently made a new EC2 copy of an existing site on Umbraco. After updating the web.config file to point to the new EC2 instance address, the site loads correctly. However the /umbraco/login.aspx won't let me login any longer. I thought I just forgot the password, so I went directly into SQL updated the password to something and then changed the web.config file to go to Clear instead of Hashed. I've tried rebooting and everything else I can imagine. I also updated the UmbracoSettings file to point to the new EC2 instance.

I don't have a way to hook up a debugger so I can't tell what is causing the login authentication to fail. I just get the wiggle in the UI like the password was wrong. I've been at this for hours. Any ideas on what else I could be missing?

Thanks,

Dustin

Feb 17, 2014 @ 21:29
    Dustin

I have a bit more information. It appears that when I 'intentionally' enter the incorrect password it is indeed recognizing it is wrong which means it must be getting to the database (and the URL remains the same /login.aspx). When I enter the correct password, it behaves slightly differently which is it redirects the URL to /login.aspx?redir=%2fumbraco%2fumbraco.aspx. Almost seems like the user account is passing the credential check but page level authentication is failing or something.

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Feb 18, 2014 @ 11:40
    Dan Lister

When you copied your EC2 instance, did you remove the old one? The only reason I ask is because if you did, you'll need to change your connection string to use the new RDS instance associated with your new EC2 instance.

Feb 18, 2014 @ 18:21
    Dustin

Thanks Dan. I shut down the old EC2 instance. As I recall the SQL install is on the same EC2 instance as the web server and not on an RDS instance. I can double check. The connection string is in the web.config file right?

• Dan Lister 416 posts 1974 karma points c-trib
    Feb 19, 2014 @ 09:09
    Dan Lister

Sounds like if you've shut down the old EC2 instance then you wouldn't be able to access the SQL Server instance installed on that box. If you've got one installed on the new EC2 instance, use that and change your connection string (if needed) to use the new instance. The connection string is in web.config. Depending on what version of Umbraco you are using, it will either be an AppSetting or in the Connection Strings section.

Feb 21, 2014 @ 18:29
    Dustin

Dan, I've verified it is getting to the database b/c the password validation is occurring. 

I need to know where and how Umbraco does page level security validation. Meaning if I were to bypass the login.aspx page and trying to directly access one of the umbraco pages (i.e. umbraco.aspx) how is the security validation working? It must be at that point my user credentials are broken.

• Mike Hook 1 post 21 karma points
    Jun 23, 2014 @ 11:25
    Mike Hook

I'm seeing the exact same issue with an Umbraco v4.7.1 site I've just switched to Azure hosting.

Intermittently it will block users from logging into the CMS, it appears to validate the password but won't redirect off the login page.
    Then eventually it just starts working again.

Did you track down the root cause of the issue with your hosting?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft