Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Mar 10, 2014 @ 17:04
    Ismail Mayat

Server issues

Guys,

We have recently moved all our umbraco sites to a new server its w2k12, sqlserver 2012 express 4gb ram. The old server was win2k3 and sql2005 and was slowly grinding to a halt.

The sites are a mix of umbraco versions anything from 4.0.3 to 4.5.2 and 6.1.6. Recently one of the sites which was 4.11.7 i upgraded it to 6.1.6.

What we are seeing now is every now and then the server grinds to a half. CPU spikes and memory usage jumps up to 98% in fact seems most of the time memory is around that mark. After a while everything goes back to normal. Has anyone seen this kind of behaviour before? One thing more is i still have issue with upgrade see here http://our.umbraco.org/forum/getting-started/installing-umbraco/48916-upgrade-breaks-media-section not sure if its related.

Regards

Ismail

• Comment author was deleted

Mar 10, 2014 @ 17:34

You may want to implement a static file cache (if the site content doesn't change too often) or looking at a Singleton Cache.

http://24days.in/umbraco/2013/get-more-out-of-umbraco-using-server-side-caching-strategies/

http://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/fast-cache

I'm assuming they are using webforms still.

Mar 10, 2014 @ 17:54
    Ismail Mayat

Kevin,

Will take a look at that. The site does update every few days also we use courier although that should be fine as backoffice should be un affected?

Regards

Ismail

Mar 10, 2014 @ 18:03

Yea try FastCache.  It just writes content to .html files and serves them instead of running the Umbraco pipeline.   Publishing clears the cache and it rebuilds over time as each page gets requested.

Obviously this only covers up a potential issue in the code/server, but it can buy you time if a Client is breathing down your neck.

Mar 10, 2014 @ 18:10
    Ismail Mayat

Kevin,

In this instance we are the client lol although we have other sites and they are also running slow. Weird thing is the bloody 98% memory usage that aint right!!!

Mar 10, 2014 @ 18:11
    Ismail Mayat

One thing you say serves up .html if page has forms etc like contour? also if we have directory urls will that still work?

Mar 10, 2014 @ 18:12

Only caches GET requests.  Should be fine with directory URL's.

I'd recommend testing in a dev environment first ;)

Mar 10, 2014 @ 18:14
    Ismail Mayat

yeah thankfully i got a scratch pad server will give it a whirl now.

Mar 10, 2014 @ 18:14

ok cool.  If you get any errors, just ping me.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft