Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Myriad 1 post 21 karma points
    Mar 12, 2014 @ 05:25
    Myriad

First Impressions very poor

Hello, I want to share my first impression and am sorry it was very poor. I only intend to bring awareness so my experience can be tested and repaired. I was expecting a full featured, robust, simple to use, and friendly .NET CMS.  What I got instead was constant problems in the "simple" steps.

The installation packages failed completely as posted elsewhere. The link in the both WebMatrix and the other installer is faulty and the package does not download and install.

After using NuGet instructions, I was able to compile in VS2013 and run the site. Surprised by the choice of two start kits, I selected the TXT kit after looking online for comparisons. I made one change to the front page and then the site was interrupted by VS with an error. After continuing, an ugly error page showed the error. This problem already has an open issue.

When looking for documentation, there are blurbs about documentation not being complete and being moved.

When lookin for different starter kits, the pagenation suggests three pages, but only one is available for free and nothing in the commercial side.  This makes me feel that the Umbraco package is immature and incomplete product.

Lastly, when attempting to create a user account at our.umbraco.org to post this message, it failed with another ugly error page. Is there no way catch these ugly error pages?  Nothing makes a professional site fall apart and lose credibility when a boo-boo blows up and scares users unfamiliar with the backend of the Internet.

Error I received when creating a user account is below.  I am using Chrome and backing up and resubmitting did not clear the error. I had to forcefully clear the cache as indicated in the developer tips and try to succeed.

Thank you

Server Error in '/' Application.

The wait operation timed out

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. 

Exception Details: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The wait operation timed out

Source Error: 

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace: 

[Win32Exception (0x80004005): The wait operation timed out]

[SqlException (0x80131904): Connection Timeout Expired.  The timeout period elapsed during the post-login phase.  The connection could have timed out while waiting for server to complete the login process and respond; Or it could have timed out while attempting to create multiple active connections.  The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=0; handshake=7858; [Login] initialization=0; authentication=0; [Post-Login] complete=7001; ]
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection, Action`1 wrapCloseInAction) +6675286
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean callerHasConnectionLock, Boolean asyncClose) +688
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSniError(TdsParserStateObject stateObj, UInt32 error) +689
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.ReadSniSyncOverAsync() +249
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.TryReadNetworkPacket() +48
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.TryPrepareBuffer() +64
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParserStateObject.TryReadByte(Byte& value) +114
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.TryRun(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj, Boolean& dataReady) +951
       System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +84
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.CompleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK) +55
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.AttemptOneLogin(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean ignoreSniOpenTimeout, TimeoutTimer timeout, Boolean withFailover) +368
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.LoginNoFailover(ServerInfo serverInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, TimeoutTimer timeout) +6703926
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(TimeoutTimer timeout, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +6704427
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions) +610
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) +1049
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) +74
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnectionOptions userOptions) +6706995
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnectionOptions userOptions) +78
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, UInt32 waitForMultipleObjectsTimeout, Boolean allowCreate, Boolean onlyOneCheckConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) +2192
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningObject, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) +116
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal& connection) +1012
       System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions) +6711619
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry) +152
       System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +229
       Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.Data.SqlHelper.ExecuteScalar(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlParameter[] commandParameters) +94
       umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteScalar(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) +147

[SqlHelperException: Umbraco Exception (DataLayer): SQL helper exception in ExecuteScalar]
       umbraco.DataLayer.SqlHelper`1.ExecuteScalar(String commandText, IParameter[] parameters) +354
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.member.Member.IsMember(String loginName) +146
       umbraco.cms.businesslogic.member.Member.GetMemberFromLoginName(String loginName) +60
       our.usercontrols.Signup.createMember(Object sender, EventArgs e) in d:\Dev\OurUmbracoMain\our.umbraco.org\usercontrols\Signup.ascx.cs:114
       System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +155
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3804
  • Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Mar 22, 2014 @ 19:30
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Myriad and welcome to our :)

Thanks for the feedback on your first time experience.

I'm sad to hear you have such a bad experience doing both the installation and signing up on our belowed our.

What documentation did you follow when you started your installation? I agree that the documentation should be improved since things change at a quick pace with two tracks of Umbraco (6.1 and 7). I know that HQ are looking to increase the staff during this year, which will hopefully allow more ressources to go over documentation etc. - However it's still important to remember that the core product is still open source and the project is dependent on volunteer contributions in terms of updating documentation, bug fixing, adding new features, bug reporting, questions on how to get things done etc.

But don't get me wrong. Installations should be much more smooth than what you have experienced since you're left with a poor impressions when everything is failing. I know this is something that HQ are working really hard to achieve and with the release of Umbraco 7.1 the installer has been rewritten and there are two skinning options that are actually working :) - In regards to the commercial side of skinning you may have a point...but Umbraco can't be compared with Wordpress for instance, since you can build and structure Umbraco in any way you fancy. There is no default way of doing things but there are some best practices that one needs to figure out / learn. Umbraco is in my humble opinion a framework giving you the CMS basics and then it's up to you to structure and configure how the sites should be constructed.

I'm not trying to defend anything because I agree that the areas you mention need to be improved. I've been wanting to help making changes to our for a long time...but unfortunately I'm having a hard time to find some spare time to do it. And I think that's the reality of many people who're using Umbraco and really want to contribute.

In terms of the error you received when trying to signup to our...would it be possible to have you report it as an issue on the issue tracker? and tag it with "OUR" - This should definently be fixed. Recently though I have noticed that our seems to be slow at peak times and becomes unresponsive during the day so perhaps the errors are due to server issues. However I'm just guessing but are going to address it next week using the issue tracker.

I hope you have not lost all of your patience and is willing to give Umbraco another shot - if there is anything you're in doubt about or can't figure out please don't hesitate to ask a question in here as we're a friendly bunch of people :)

Cheers, Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft