Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• adrianfriend 67 posts 68 karma points
    Oct 26, 2009 @ 16:16
    adrianfriend

Exporting content

Hi All,

Is there any easy way to export certain content into a new instance of Umbraco. I have tried to create a package with the content tree I need but when I install I get an 'Object not set' error when trying to create content. I have added all the templates & doctypes it needs aswell but still the same error.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Adrian

• dandrayne 1138 posts 2262 karma points
    Oct 26, 2009 @ 16:27
    dandrayne

Creating a package should do it,so perhaps give more information about your approach to this to see if we can find out what's not working.

Alternatively, you could have a look at umbImport after setting up a macro to create an xml file from your chosen content.

Dan

Oct 26, 2009 @ 16:45
    adrianfriend

Hi Dan,

I created a new package with the content I needed and the templates/document types and tried to install it on a fresh instance of Umbraco.

It creates the templates and doc types OK but looks like it fails when trying to add the content

Is it because the ParentId would be different?

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
    umbraco.cms.businesslogic.Content.CreateContent(ContentType ct) +118
    umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Document.MakeNew(String Name, DocumentType dct, User u, Int32 ParentId) +386
    umbraco.cms.businesslogic.web.Document.Import(Int32 ParentId, User Creator, XmlElement Source) +91
    umbraco.cms.businesslogic.packager.Installer.InstallBusinessLogic(Int32 packageId, String tempDir) +4187
    umbraco.presentation.developer.packages.Installer.processInstall(String currentStep) +180
    umbraco.presentation.developer.packages.Installer.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +334
    System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +14
    System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e) +35
    System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +99
    umbraco.BasePages.BasePage.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +15
    System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +50

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +627

Oct 26, 2009 @ 17:02
    dandrayne

This could be the case.  I'd try exporting from "further up the tree" and make sure you include all the required doctypes and necessary parent doctypes.  Once you've got the content in you can always move nodes around to suit.

Oct 26, 2009 @ 17:06
    adrianfriend

Only thing up the tree is the home page! If I did export the home page do I need the homepage template and the master template?

Adrian

Oct 26, 2009 @ 17:22
    dandrayne

At this stage you're basically making a carbon copy of the site? That is probably easier than going the package route and will preserve nested document types (if you're currently using any),  It's then just a case of export db, zip up files and unzip/reimport/change connection string on your new server

Perhaps someone with more "packaging" experience could step up at this point to help out if this isn't your aim

Oct 26, 2009 @ 17:24
    adrianfriend

Hi Dan,

Yep that sounds like a step to far as I only need one section.

Thanks for your help on this

Adrian

Oct 28, 2009 @ 18:13
    adrianfriend

Does anyone have any further ideas on this?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft